WOW! We are finally seeing a little relief in the temperatures and getting some much needed rainfall even though we are still in drought conditions in NE Illinois. Got a recent electric bill, OUCH!

I have not been on the Fox Chain since June so looking for any updates on water conditions. What from I have been hearing, water levels are still very low and would guess temperatures still in the 80’s. If this weather pattern continues, we should be able to start muskie fishing on the Fox Chain within the next couple of weeks. Please remember, your surface temp gauge is only reading in the upper 18" or so of the water column. Best reading comes from a thermometer in the 5 to 10' range. The thermocline on the Fox Chains will set up in the 12-16" range.

Spent about 10 days in Canada on LOTW in mid-July. Fishing was not normal as water temps there was ranging from 76-81 which are HOT for the 2nd week of July. These temps are typical for late July and into August. Steve and I ended up baiting 13 muskies for the trip with the largest at 44.5”. Steve though, LOST A BIG ONE! We were seeing about 20 muskies a day but they just would not open their mouths. Best presentations were jerk baits, twitch baits and surface lures. I have been doing LOTW now for nearly 18 years and I can tell you, each and every year is different and a great learning experience.