www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Missing muskies

Default Missing muskies

Fished Sucker Bay last weekend & saw quite a few other boats for Sucker bay. We didn't see a fish. I'm OK if it was just us, but curious if anybody had a good weekend with muskies on Leech.

Quote Originally Posted by muskymonark View Post
    Fished Sucker Bay last weekend & saw quite a few other boats for Sucker bay. We didn't see a fish. I'm OK if it was just us, but curious if anybody had a good weekend with muskies on Leech.

I'll chime in a bit with some general info ...
    That weekend was decent on the section of lake we were Muskymonark. We ended up with four in the net . No giants but fun nonetheless. All i can suggest for next time is do a bunch of moving around. There is always some part of the lake that is going when others may be ghost towns. I can tell you windows are extremely small at least in the evenings so lately if you arent there in the right half hour window or so you wont experience any action.

Quote Originally Posted by Muskydan View Post
    I'll chime in a bit with some general info ...
    That weekend was decent on the section of lake we were Muskymonark. We ended up with four in the net . No giants but fun nonetheless. All i can suggest for next time is do a bunch of moving around. There is always some part of the lake that is going when others may be ghost towns. I can tell you windows are extremely small at least in the evenings so lately if you arent there in the right half hour window or so you wont experience any action.
    Guess on a big lake your just not going to be in the right place all the time. Seems odd to me, fish moods can be so far apart on the same lake.

Quote Originally Posted by muskymonark View Post
    Guess on a big lake your just not going to be in the right place all the time. Seems odd to me, fish moods can be so far apart on the same lake.
    Yeah i may not have quite stated that correctly.....I would say to be more specific that the mood is probably the same from one section to the other but its more the specific location the fish within a bay or section of the lake are in is the key. It seems when they go they go all over ,but if you arent on the fish in specific location or at a certain depth ,certain cover etc ,you arent going to see much action. Or maybe a certain type of bait seems to trigger them at that time. Muskies can certainly be ghosts alot of the time and then when they decide to eat they come seemingly out of the woodwork and you wonder...were they there the whole time? Did they move in from off the break, was there an environmental change? The list goes on and on.
    Are they all going to be doing the same thing? No, but you up your odds if you can figure out what the larger percentage of the fish are doing in any given area.They are there for the finding.

Last weeked for me during the wind it took rubber to make them bite on the section i was on when previously it had been a largely bucktail bite. Meanwhile it seemed bucktails were doing good for most of the PMTT guys on other sections. I saw only one PMTT boat all weekend where i was. On my particular section they had moved back out deeper for the most part while the tourney guys doing good were shallower on the sand i believe. That bite had deteriorated where i was due to water temps coming back up i believe.

Saturday it seemed like the period of activity was pretty large with the wind and the clouds we had early on in the day, but not typical of weeks past when the window of activity was seemingly very small early and late.

And your original statement is correct you just cant be everywhere at once on a big lake .Vermilion for example is one of those lakes to me that has periods where the west end may be going better than the east end or vice versa. I'm not sure thats the case on Leech and im not sure if it isnt more because of the difference in structures between the different ends meaning more rock on the east versus the west , but it happens.
    I know my statements are pretty general here but hope this helps some. Its a great lake but it does have its little idiosyncrasies like any other.