www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Bass Remain Hot - Walleyes Improving

Default Bass Remain Hot - Walleyes Improving

Largemouth and smallmouth bass fishing continues to provide the best action on our area lakes. The largemouth are hitting just about any presentation you throw at them from plastics to crankbaits. Top water lures will also produce but are more effective early or late in the day. Smallmouth have been a little more finicky preferring slower moving presentations such as drop shot rigs or carolina rigs. If they won't hit plastics, crawlers or leeches will do the trick. Largemouth have been relating to deeper weeds and smallmouth have been hanging out in rocky areas anywhere from 15' to 30' of water depending on the day.

After struggling a bit to put walleyes in the boat during the last couple of weeks in July, the action in August has improved quite a bit. Deep weed edges have been producing but rocky areas are also now starting to produce. Look for rocks to become increasingly productive from now through Fall. Crawlers have still been my best bait for walleyes but with the cooler temps I will soon start throwing some minnows too.

Been finding decent size bluegills mixed in with the bass and walleyes in and around the deeper weed edges. Been picking up a stray crappie now and then while jigging for other species but haven't run into any numbers.

Haven't been fishing for musky but one of my clients did boat a 40" class musky on a jig and crawler last week.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	smallmouth.jpg 
Views:	305 
Size:	66.6 KB 
ID:	17748   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	herkowski.jpg 
Views:	297 
Size:	82.7 KB 
ID:	17749  
    Rick Writz Minocqua Area Fishing Guide Service
    E-mail: rwritz@newnorth.net
    Web Site: http://www.rickwritzminocquafishingguide.com