www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Minnow Fund/Fingerling Update

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Minnow Fund/Fingerling Update

A secondhand email from the PFBC. To those who were involved in raising those monies, give yourself a pat on the back!
    __________________________________________________ ___________

Three River’s Musky Club members, 8/6/2012

Per Jim Burr’s request, I would like to update you onthe minnow project here at the Linesville SFH. To date, we have purchased $3,996.24 dollars worth of fathead minnows. The minnows were purchase by the gracious donation that your club made to our hatchery for the purpose of feeding our 2012 production Musky. In addition to your donation the Linesville Hatchery has purchased another $2,500.00 worth on minnows in place of dry feed. Together these purchases equal a total of 978 lbs of minnows delivered to Linesville.

Currently we have 36,233 musky on station. Of the 36,233 fishon site 15,320 have been on minnows since June 29th. To achieve feeding the musky one minnow every other day, we have fed a total of 640lbs to date.

We have also stocked a total of 452 lbs of minnows into our production ponds for production. So as you can see we have already “used” 1,092 lbs of minnows. This is the point in the year that we will see the investment of our minnow production ponds. We estimate that we will need an additional 1,000lbs of minnows to finish the 15,000 musky until late September. We feel that our production ponds should be able to supply us with this amount of minnows. In addition to supplying us enough for this year we plan to have enough to start our ponds for next season.

As far as the Musky as a whole…both the minnow fed fish and the feed fed musky are longer and heavier that any year in the past. To give you a comparison, last year overall our musky averaged 321 fish/lb. and measured 4.7” the end of July. This year the musky averaged 37.1 fish/lb. and measured 6.1” long the end of July. This was accomplished by an earlier egg take in the spring and the help with these minnows. The minnows helped because it enabled us to move our minnow fed musky (15,000 plus) outdoors earlier to give additional tank space for the remainder of the feed fed fish which helped growth.

I am very pleased to see such good results so early. With out a doubt your efforts have contributed to the healthiest musky ever produced at our facility. I can’t thank you folks enough and I look forward to your comments when we stock these fish.

Thank You again

Rob

Rob Brown | Hatchery Manager
    Pennsylvania Fish & Boat Commission
    Linesville State Fish Hatchery
    13300 Hartstown Rd. | Linesville, PA 16424
    Phone: 814.683.4451 | Fax: 814.683.4215
    www.fishandboat.com
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	muskydonation.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	70.0 KB 
ID:	17638  
    Last edited by Red Childress; 08-10-2012 at 04:24 PM.
    Allegheny Guide Service
    Red Childress

E-mail - RedChildress@gmail.com
    Web Site: http://www.alleghenyguideservice.com

Thanks to everyone who helped out. Hope next year's fund rasiers go as easy as this years. I'm sure the people reading that didn't contribute will see that it's a worth while deal and get on board next year when the fund rasiers start up again.

Sounds like we couldn't of picked a better year to start it!!!!

It's very nice to see how well this has turned out.

I will use my boat to help with stocking, just let me know when and if you need me!

Default Typo fixed

The PFBC email is corrected to read "321 per lb." instead of the incorrect "32.1 per lb".

Not sure what happened there........
    Allegheny Guide Service
    Red Childress

E-mail - RedChildress@gmail.com
    Web Site: http://www.alleghenyguideservice.com

4.7" fish 0.05oz
    6.1" fish 0.432oz
    pellet fed fish 8.64 times as heavy while being 1.3 times greater in length

Great job by all involved,looking good! We purchased $3000 of Extra Fathead Minnows to be shipped with the Hatcheries shipment,close to 500 lbs,for Prendergast Hatchery in NY last Monday as well.They will be delivered on Sept 12th ,the last shipment to feed the muskie fingerlings till mid October before stocking.We got as big as 10.5" last year out of the muskie fingerlings fed extra Fathead Minnows.Here in NY we are watching your efforts in PA very closely to see if we can improve the stocking program here possibly incorperating some of your methods done there.
    NY Muskie Stocking Program is off to a very good start this year as well,early egg collection/early start,more growing time,earlier outside minnow feeding,should mean extra big muskie fingerlings this year.Chautauqua Lake got a early boost with 60,000 3.5 inchers being stocked in June and should get most of the pond fed muskie fingerlings as well in late October.
    For the first year you guys have really done an outstanding job with your bait fish project in PA,Congrads to All!
    Mostly Muskies Charters & Guide Service
    Captain Larry Jones

Web Site: http://www.mostlymuskies.com