www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: August 1st -3rd report

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

If people dont know the proper way to release a Muskie, then they shouldnt fish them....I understand sometimes the fish shakes free, but then try and get her and do everything to make sure she swims off...SMH...

That fish by Chipmunk was already dead when they plopped it in. The guys that caught that fish are friends of mine. They tried to revive it for more than an hour. The fish tore a gill on the hookset and didn't have a chance. Those guys knew what they were doing but the fish just had a hook the wrong way in it's gills. They even tried to put it in the livewell at the end but it didn't matter. No matter how we try sometimes the fish is just going to get hooked bad sometimes and not make it. That's the nature of throwing baits with hooks. Keeping a fish out of the water for too long is one thing but to just have a fish bleed out you can't control. That's just part of fishing.
    Ty Sennett Muskie Fishing Guide Service
    & Sennett Musky Tackle Company
    8914 N. Conner Lane
    Hayward, WI 54843
    Land Phone: 715-462-9403
    Cell Phone: 612-839-1227
    Web Site: http://www.tysennett.com

Default Bleeding gills

Quote Originally Posted by Ty Sennett View Post
    That fish by Chipmunk was already dead when they plopped it in. The guys that caught that fish are friends of mine. They tried to revive it for more than an hour. The fish tore a gill on the hookset and didn't have a chance. Those guys knew what they were doing but the fish just had a hook the wrong way in it's gills. They even tried to put it in the livewell at the end but it didn't matter. No matter how we try sometimes the fish is just going to get hooked bad sometimes and not make it. That's the nature of throwing baits with hooks. Keeping a fish out of the water for too long is one thing but to just have a fish bleed out you can't control. That's just part of fishing.
    One of the tips I read said to pour a citric acid drink like 7up on a gill that was bleeding. I think it was something about the citric acid help constrict the blood veins to help stop bleeding. Never put it to a test and if one of the gills had been torn it wouldn't have helped. Ty if you want to test it sometime and let me know if it works that would be great. Don't think it would hurt.

I've had a few fish pass on to the little lake in the sky from bleeding from the gills. Usually if I see the fish bleeding I'll just hold it in the water as steady as I can and just let the fish clot up and push it off slow. I don't push the fish back and forth when I see blood coming out from it's gills.

The more fish you catch the more chances you'll have that one is going to die. That's just the nature of the beast.
    Ty Sennett Muskie Fishing Guide Service
    & Sennett Musky Tackle Company
    8914 N. Conner Lane
    Hayward, WI 54843
    Land Phone: 715-462-9403
    Cell Phone: 612-839-1227
    Web Site: http://www.tysennett.com