We enjoy a "Just for Fun" Fishing Contest here at Oak Haven every year. We track the Top Ten of nine different species. Our contest is by length, not weight. And when I measure our guests fish, I close the mouth and squeeze the tail. Over the years, a few guests thought they landed a 14 inch Crappie that turned out to be 13 something after I closed the mouth of the fish. We had several Bluegills that were easily eleven inches when you lay them on the yardstick. But after we close the mouth, they were 10 ¾ inches. If you're at your desk as you read this...turn an 8 ½ by 11 inch piece of paper sideways and ask yourself if you've ever landed a Bluegill or a Sunfish that was 10 inches long. We don't inflate the numbers here. Our goal is accuracy and fairness to all guests... men, women and children.

In the past few days I've had the pleasure of measuring several Crappies around 13 ½ inches long. Our leader so far this year is 13 7/8 inches. That fish was landed by Brandon Jacobsen on May 12. We have a tie for the biggest Bluegill at 10 ¾ inches. Jason Haag landed his in June and Merrill Wadle landed hers just a few days ago.

Ralph Domras is our Walleye leader so far this year with a lunker 29 ½ incher. His Wife Norma is our Muskie leader with a 36 incher. Bob Thiele landed the biggest Pike so far, a 33 ¾ incher. Andrea Young is second with her 29 5/8 incher that she caught last week. Our first place Rock Bass was landed by Eddie Houi. His 11 7/8 inch Rocky was landed in June.

Lars Larson continues to hold on to the first place Largemouth Bass. His 20 ¼ incher was caught and released in mid-May. Since then, Randall Wagler landed a 19 ¾ incher. We have a tie for 3rd at 19 inches. Our biggest Perch of the year was landed by Brandon Pedroza in June. It measured exactly 12 inches. Second place is 11 7/8 inches and that fish was landed by Thomas Fleming in late June. Trina Stoll continues to lead the Bullhead contest. Trina landed a 14 ¼ incher in late May.

The top ten of all fish species for every year since 2008 are shown in every cabin here at Oak Haven. Our guests often learn from other guests' the tricks sometimes needed to land some really nice fish. I noticed information being given out yesterday by veteran guests to new guests on where and how to find big Crappies. I can't share that information with you here on line. We save that for people who stay with us.

Book your next vacation at Oak Haven, where the Cabins all have AC and soft water. Enjoy our fishing contest, our two great heated swimming pools, free use of canoes, paddle boats, life jackets and more. See bald eagles and loons every day.

If you'd like to vacation at a place where you catch a variety of fish, boat to nine different lakes, witness vast amounts of wildlife, hear no cussing and enjoy quiet nights, please give us a call.