Quote Originally Posted by Jason VandeKopple View Post
The batteries last about 2.5-3 hours (I have 3 batteries) and a 32gb card is what you would need. It is attached to a head strap so it is just like wearing a headlamp; little uncomfortable at first but you will get used to it. I don't have it running all the time; I stop it while moving to different spots and stop it after any follow, close call, caught fish, etc. If you don't stop it a good amount, the video file will be huge and it will be very tough to find the action you had during the day. Stopping it right after fish action makes it really easy to edit the video as you only need to watch the last 30 seconds of the video clips to see which clips are empty and which have action. It really is cool re-watching all the clips, but I wish I had a better editing program so I could zoom in on specific parts of the clips.
Jason,

Thanks for the tips. Here is what I wound up doing. I got a Contour Roam, as it's the cheapest decent camera I could find. I got a hat from Hatcams.com, which has a universal mount in the bill of the hat, so the Contour Roam screws right on (no headstrap). I'll look like an idiot, but it's worth it.

I want to film everything, so I'm going to do it in 720P. 1080P is just so massive in terms of file size, I just can't see it being possible on a "budget". The amount of space on my hard drive and constantly swapping out micro SD cards just seems onerous. I've done some test footage, and 720P upscaled to 1080P on my 60" Tv still looks pretty good and is more than fine on a smaller computer screen.

The Roam battery is supposed to last 3.5 hours. My buddy's boat has a cigarette lighter charger, so I got the plug in charger. So my plan is to "quick charge" between spots, and get almost a full charge back when we grab a sandwich around mid-day.

Excellent suggestion on stopping and starting after follows. That for sure means the action will be at the end of every clip, and easier to find. I hadn't thought of that.

As far as video editing, I've never done it before. But I'll learn it when I get home. I will probably use iMovie, as I heard its pretty easy.

The last thing I need to do is install the polarizing lense into the Roam, and test some daytime footage with that. I think like Polarized glasses, it will help to better see the fish in the water.

I'll keep you guys posted.

Dan