www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Fish dying on the Chippewa Flowage

Default Fish dying on the Chippewa Flowage

So today I've had two text from different friends about dead muskies on the flowage. The first text I got was from a friend who told me he found low to mid 40" floating dead south of Pete's Bar. I also talked to a different friend who was out bass fishing and came across a dead 50".

I know people can't help what the weather is when they take vacations. But if there is anyone who is on the fence about coming up, I just wanted to let you know that water temps are getting very high. Hope this wind and cool down helps but I know there is very little difference in water temps from the surface to about 5 or 6 feet down.

I will keep you posted on water temps. I'm not fishing out there but will be on the Flowage Wednesday to meet friends for dinner and will give an updates on water temps.
    Pete Rich Guide Service
    Web Site: www.peterichguide.com
    Email: pete.rich25@gmail.com
    Cell Phone: 815-762-3973
    HAYWARD, WI

Where was the 50" at? I saw one dead in the lower 40's around the 4th while out boating.

Not sure. Haven't talked to my friend yet. Just got the text. I had confirmation from another guy too. Talked with a guide who fishes a lot of clear water and he told me he's turning down days. Water temps on lco are 82. Called the DNR and they are getting reports of dying fish on a lot of lakes. This sucks! Hope water cools fas, not fishing sucks.
    Pete Rich Guide Service
    Web Site: www.peterichguide.com
    Email: pete.rich25@gmail.com
    Cell Phone: 815-762-3973
    HAYWARD, WI

this is a tuff decision to make. People who vacation and plan all year to musky fish are going to fish. I have zero problem with that. My only suggestion is to make sure you're ready with the proper tools, pliers, bolt cutters and maybe the stick type measuring pole. Keep the fish in the water cut the hooks that don't come out with ease. Measure the fish in the bag (does it really matter if its 41" or 41.5") have your camera ready and take a quick photo. The fact that the fish are deeper, in the cooler water, probably makes all the preperation for quick release a moot point. Best thing let them be, if not fish responsibly