www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Big Smiles at AML

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Big Smiles at AML

Herbie,

At the risk of being sentimental, I just wanted to post something. A few weeks ago I bought a new computer, and I am in the process of transferring photos from the old computer to the new. I've organized them by trip date, and it's been a long process with years of photos. I am sitting here smiling...

Why am I smiling? Because it's like reliving all the great times, man. One thing stands out, everyone has a big smile. And the fun just comes through the photos. Whether it's me holding my 54" PB guided by you, or seeing my friends like Mike, Chuck, Donnie, Craig etc all holding big fish or PBs...everyone seems so happy. Yeah, sometimes we are out there toiling, and getting beaten down. Yet, when someone boats one of these magnificent fish, everything changes. It's all worth it, and it's part of our life story.

Thanks to everyone who makes this all possible. I miss ya guys...and I'll see ya soon, but as always, not soon enough.

Dan

PS: With some help from Mother Nature, and Eagle Lake willing...this IS the year for my buddy Mike to go over 50"+. I sense it coming...I have a promise to keep.

Dan you are oh so right! Nothing like looking over old pictures to put a big smile on your face and bring happy memories of past times together. I often think about those fish caught and not caught and everything involved to get that photo. Perseverance being the key. Even when things are tough on the water I revel in the majesty of God's creation each and every time I'm on Eagle. I've been blessed to meet so many great people while staying at AML. The entire staff are all great people just to be around. Always enjoyed sitting at the cabin after fishing and talking with all the guides with what happened on the water that day and the pigs that eluded us. Looking forward to returning in August with you and Mike and making more memories. Can't wait to see that big smile on Mike's face holding his first 50". I know I'll be smiling too! Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Schranz View Post
    Dan you are oh so right! Nothing like looking over old pictures to put a big smile on your face and bring happy memories of past times together. I often think about those fish caught and not caught and everything involved to get that photo. Perseverance being the key. Even when things are tough on the water I revel in the majesty of God's creation each and every time I'm on Eagle. I've been blessed to meet so many great people while staying at AML. The entire staff are all great people just to be around. Always enjoyed sitting at the cabin after fishing and talking with all the guides with what happened on the water that day and the pigs that eluded us. Looking forward to returning in August with you and Mike and making more memories. Can't wait to see that big smile on Mike's face holding his first 50". I know I'll be smiling too! Chuck
    Chuckie,

You betcha! I can't wait. I also totally agree, it's not just about the fishing. Remember when we saw the eagle attack the loon? I've seen bears, moose, one wolf...and i hear the Mountain Lions are coming back East. We gonna need to bring a dog with us for early warning!

Also agree re the people ya meet there. Heck, we met there. And now we've gotten to know Bill Hedden among others. It's awesome.

I'm still screwing around the pictures. It takes a lot of work, but I'm moving platforms from Windows to Mac. So, I'm learning how to use iPhoto on the Mac, and also trying to transfer my photos, etc. I am missing a lot. I know you have some, and I am not sure we ever got our photos from 2010 (our cameras were eff'd, and I think Cal had em). Maybe we can get him to burn a disc. I just don't think I ever asked him for any pics. Or maybe he has a camera card he can give me to stick in my computer.

Let's get together soon, bro.

-Dan

Dan and Chuck,
    My trip is finally getting close enough that I can at last begin to let myself get excited about getting to Eagle Lake and seeing you guys and the other special people there. I got a good reminder of how important these trips are in my emotional world when I went to Alaska king salmon fishing a few weeks ago. The day I arrived there and was loading my gear on a float plane for the flight to the lodge, the Alaska Department of Fish and Game closed all of south central Alaska to king fishing due to the poor salmon runs. And the worst part of it was, when I got to the river and fished trout instead, I could tell that the state had done the right thing: the salmon were few and far between where there shold have been mobs of them. Imagine getting to Eagle Lake and learning that the MNR had closed muskie fishing even to catch and release! I would have to find a mighty big bottle of alcohol to drown my sorrows. These fish, and the days on the lake searching for them, are among the most important things in life for some of us, and I know that you know what I mean. Thank goodness that the musky population is healthy! I truly can't wait to get there.
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Hedden View Post
    These fish, and the days on the lake searching for them, are among the most important things in life for some of us, and I know that you know what I mean. Thank goodness that the musky population is healthy!
    I know what you mean, Bill. People mock or make fun of my obsession re Muskies, and think its weird. They don't get it. At the same time, I don't get why they don't understand it.

I've tried to explain it, but I gave up on that. If they don't get it, they never will. There's nothing we can do to help other people understand. So it's best to just go aboutour business, and not worry what other people think.

I still feel like some people look down on obsessed "crazy" Musky fisherman like us. I don't judge the people playing bumper boats in the narrows in the evening for walleye. I may try it some day, but it's certainly not my cup of tea. To each his own.

Dan

"My trip is finally getting close enough that I can at last begin to let myself get excited about getting to Eagle Lake and seeing you guys and the other special people there.
    Bill"

Bill: When are you arriving this year and how long are you staying up? Is your brother joining you or are you flying "solo?" Dan, Mike and I will arrive on 8-25 til
    9-1. Really looking forward to the trip and counting down the days! Only seven more weeks.

Chuck,
    I will arrive on August 18 and stay three weeks. Brother Tom will join me from the 23rd through the 29th. It will be really good to see you and Dan there.
    Bill