The weather was a bit hotter than the bite this past week. Though several groups really got into walleyes at times, the weather pattern of stiff winds with multiple changes in directions often scattered the walleyes. Deeper humps were the most prevalent structure reported. Minnows and leeches seemed to be equal in terms of what the fish preferred. Many comments made about the empty bellies of the walleyes that were being cleaned for consumption this week. No sign of crawdads or mayflies according to several people filleting their catch. Should be a good indicator of fish about to be hungry in the near future. Despite a bit "tougher" bite this week, several personal bests were caught and released up to 27.5" of the fish reported.

Muskie action was slow, though there were some nice fish caught. In the bigger fish category, muskies of 50", 46" and a multiple 44"s were caught this week, but the overall report would lhave to be slow, slow, slow with repsect to fish activity. Rock, weed, sand, etc all did produce a few fish, but there was no discernable pattern and many anglers from newbies to the area all the way through long-time veterans struggled to see fish consistently. Perhaps the goofiest report was a 42" and 46" on Friday night and Saturday morning caught with crankbaits trolling rock structure. They told me they did it just like it was fall and managed the most of their fish on this trip from that method. I love to troll, but I don't want to start July 1. It's tough enough keeping the Pooh Boat off the rocks for the month or so we do it in October/November. Also still more walleye anglers snagging muskies on deeper humps this week...the highlight being a 47" caught in 16 feet of water on a hump. From those kinda of results, it appears it may be time to fish deeper in the summer.

Northern bite picked up nicely this week. Lots of smaller pike, as well as a couple that were 41" and 38.5" caught and released..most of these from weed structures with smaller than the usual muskie-type baits.

Another jam packed week at the resort. Looking forward to more action, multiple personal bests and possibly some time on the water personally this weekend if the flop is favourable and neither the turn or river lay a bad beat on me.

Enjoy your long weekends in both Canada and the US this week.

Happy Canada Day and 4th of July to our Canadian and American friends.