www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Somo Lake Report 6/23-6/29

Default Somo Lake Report 6/23-6/29

Fished Somo Lake for about a week. water temperatures on the surface were from 72-80 depending on the time of day and location on the lake. All in all it ended up being a decent week of fishing, but Monday and Tuesday were probably two of the worst days fishing I ever had.

We fished for muskys, northerns and bass. We caught only two small largemouth, one small northern and 12 muskys. All but 2 of the musky were 30 inches or larger. The biggest of the week is the 38 incher in the attached picture. There really was no pattern other than bucktails and size and color did not matter. We caught them all over the lake so there really was no key piece of structure to key in on. The 38 incher came on a giant Johnson silver minnow, but the rest all came on bucktails. No surface action and not follows or hits on any other type of lure. Finally, the morning bite was non existent. Just about all fish came in the afternoon or evening.

We did mess around with our new depth finder and targeted the baitfish we marked. We did catch some small crappies and rock bass, but no walleyes. This brings me to some interesting info we got from a guy we talked to that lives on the lake year round. He said that the Somo Ice Fisheree drew about 800 people last year and pretty much wipes out the walleye and pike in the lake. He also said that crappies over 8 inches are taken like crazy. I do think there is some truth behind his statements as every crappie we got was 8 inches or so. It was like they were out of a mold. I think the musky population contributes as well, but all of that ice fishing pressure can not be good for a 400 acre lake.

All in all it was a good fishing trip. We had a nice time and got some good fish once the effects of the 37 post cold front morning wore off.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fishing Trip 2012 001.jpg 
Views:	215 
Size:	201.2 KB 
ID:	17306  

Nice report Jim. I'm from Dixon Il. and we fish Lake Alice a few times a year. Heading back up there in August. Should be a good time.