www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Kayak fishing

Cool Kayak fishing

Does anybody out there fish out of a kayak like me? I want to come up there later this summer or fall. When would the best time to come up for fishing and still be able to use the campsites on the lake.

So then if we see you go screaming by...you hooked a big muskie?
    George

If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.

Default kayak

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    So then if we see you go screaming by...you hooked a big muskie?
    That is funny because I did hook a 25 pound flathead catfish and it did pull me out about 200 yards on a lake here in iowa.

I have a place on Trude Lake and we kayak fish all the time. You can get into places that the big fishing boats cannot access. We have caught everything from Walleye, Smallmounth, Northern Pike and Muskie's. Just hang on when you hook into a big one. Oh, make sure your iphone is in a water proof bag or container, iphones are not water proof, first hand knowledge.... =)

Hi shrades, I see pleasure boaters going along shore lines but not fishing. Way to dangerous a situation, especially if the wind picks up, storm moves in or other adverse weather, kind of like a biker not wearing a helmit, we all get to pay for taking care of them when tragedy strikes, their right but everyone else suffers because of a poor decesion. I would not advise it on the TFF.

i think you would have a better time going down the flambeau river instead.. fishing can be outstanding.

Is there any other smaller lakes in the area that a kayak fisherman might enjoy. I'm not much of a river guy. Mainly lakes.

You should be fine kayaking on the TFF. Is it big? Of course. But it A) sounds like you've been doing this and are well prepared and B) are planning on camping and exploring and therefore probably won't be 3 miles across open water with a storm you didn't see coming keeping you pinned against rocks for 8 hours. As long as you're aware of the weather and don't try to cross a large expanse in 30 mph winds, there is no reason the TFF shouldn't be a great kayak-fishing lake. ss4o9 seems to be pretty successful at it up there.

My kayak I have is rigged just for fishing. Alittle common sence and good planning, makes fishing out of one a blast.

If I wanted to get up later this summer before it gets to cold to camp. When would be the best time to go . And also what baits and or lures are a favorite up there. I have a fishfinder on the kayak so finding structure is easy to do.

Depending on cold fronts and your camping equipment, you could easily go into September, maybe October depending on conditions, we've camped a few times into mid-September without problems.

Quote Originally Posted by shrades View Post
    Is there any other smaller lakes in the area that a kayak fisherman might enjoy. I'm not much of a river guy. Mainly lakes.
    Try Lake 6- it's about 10 miles up Swamp Creek Rd. You should be able to catch bass, panfish, and northern (at least those are the species I've caught) A nice little lake with only one cabin on it (he owns all of the land around the lake) Let us know how you do.

Rich P

I will, sounds like there are more lakes up there then I will have time to fish.

I think I saw you at Sportsmans landing on 7/6. Do you have a red "ride on top" kyak?

nope I do not i have a tan Synergy.