www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Graveyard Point

Default Graveyard Point

Recently been reading up on some Chippewa Flowage history and came across Graveyard Point. I have two Flowage maps and neither shows its the location. Anyone that knows the location able to mark it on a map and throw up a quick pic? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by 50Musky View Post
    Recently been reading up on some Chippewa Flowage history and came across Graveyard Point. I have two Flowage maps and neither shows its the location. Anyone that knows the location able to mark it on a map and throw up a quick pic? Thanks.
    Back in the day, my dad and grandfather called the far south end of Squaw Bay "The Graveyard."

Quote Originally Posted by 50Musky View Post
    Actually Graveyard point is in the southeast part of the flowage. Just west of the Church Bars and just next to Pine Island (the eastside Pine Island). But don't fish it............there are no fish there!!!!

The graveyard is just to the west of the eastside Pine Island, it is east of Willow Island and the Church Bars, in the day the little inlet on the island had a big log jam and many accounts say that is where Louis Spray got Chin Whiskers Charlie his world record musky. It is less than 2 min from Indian Trails and after being up there for the past 6 yrs, I have never heard of anyone catching anything there now. Much better fishing water on the other side of Pine Island along the old river channel. Especially when the weather was rough, I put time in at that area and lets just say, it sure ain't one of my honey holes. But 1/4 mile away is a different story for sure. There are indian grave stones and the like on the island so one should treat it/the area with the respect we would have for one of our burial grounds.

Quote Originally Posted by deantre View Post
    The graveyard is just to the west of the eastside Pine Island, it is east of Willow Island and the Church Bars, in the day the little inlet on the island had a big log jam and many accounts say that is where Louis Spray got Chin Whiskers Charlie his world record musky. It is less than 2 min from Indian Trails and after being up there for the past 6 yrs, I have never heard of anyone catching anything there now. Much better fishing water on the other side of Pine Island along the old river channel. Especially when the weather was rough, I put time in at that area and lets just say, it sure ain't one of my honey holes. But 1/4 mile away is a different story for sure. There are indian grave stones and the like on the island so one should treat it/the area with the respect we would have for one of our burial grounds.
    Hi Deantre,

I think you mean west of willow island and west of church bars. People have a different idea of what "Graveyard Point" actually is. The island point with the grave yard/grave stones (and there use to be an old church there as well but now just ruins) is considered graveyard point. i have seen older maps that call this church island. The "fishing area" considered graveyard point is actually the reed area and real nice stump and weed bar/shelf on the island (50 yards) to the west. This "area" is where Louie Spray caught the world record. It is an excellent area to fish with a nice stump and weed bar/shelf (3ft-8ft) that falls off into deeper water (12ft-30ft). There is also a really nice hump out from "graveyard point" in 20ft-25ft of water that is only 2ft-5ft under the surface. deep water runs right between these two islands with the "log jam" on the shoreline of the island with the grave stones. I fish this area quite a bit and there are fish on this spot all the time and atleast 6-12 fish are caught here every year by people i know as well as myself. and a few years back a couple very "reliable" people were rowing around in this area up close to shore and lets just say that what they saw sunning itself was VERY impressive. BUT don't fish this spot........there are no fish here.....trust me.....

The actual point is just northeast of Indian Trail a short ride with Pine Island just to the east of that and it is church Island. Was told when I first came up in 1962 the log jam was where Spray caught his fish after stopping at the resort; he went out and the resort owners said they heard a shot. The point had an old road bed going to the south shore and there is a shallow area there and I have caught fish there. Used to fish this a lot when staying at the resort and usually as a last chance area when coming in for the day. The grass weed pt is just north of the point with the channel going to the west and the log jam area was around the point in a bay and remember when there were still some logs there. I never saw any there but the points and further down the channel to hank smiths bar has all produced fish for me but not one of my best areas. I also caught fish off the north side of Pine Island and the bar just east of the Island. The area certainly has fish and know of a 40 pounder caught there and as Bruce Tasker always said about the fish " They can Swim".

Thanks for the information and the tips guys.

We visited graveyard point last week. It was very interesting, many people have left "offerings" at the grave sites, Fishing lures, bobbers, beer, basically anything the had in their boat and some! Be respectful and leave an offering and maybe the fish gods will reward you!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	graveyard island.jpg 
Views:	1308 
Size:	190.3 KB 
ID:	17373

I want to see this, but am getting confused as to where it is actually at. Anyone have coordinates? Is it actually on an island or part of the main land?

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Stone View Post
    I want to see this, but am getting confused as to where it is actually at. Anyone have coordinates? Is it actually on an island or part of the main land?

Here you go. Please be respectful of the graveyard and Island. The "log jam" is around the corner/Point. not much of a "log jam" any more.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Graveyard Point.jpg 
Views:	1447 
Size:	55.1 KB 
ID:	17401