www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: When 350HP just isn't enough...

Default When 350HP just isn't enough...

Somebody brought up horsepower restrictions on another thread - has anybody heard of this new outboard company and their crazy motor?

6.2L supercharged V8 from the Cadillac CTS-V...
    557HP...
    Over 1,000 Lbs...
    Joystick maneuvering control...
    Custom painted to order...

Here's a pair on a 37' offshore fishing boat - 75mph and a whopping 1.5 mpg. I wonder who will be the first to build a 25' bass or walleye boat that can carry this motor...

Blue,
    When I tried the Mercury 350sci on my 17' Lund tiller, it just wasn't a comfortable combination, for the flowage.

HRG

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	terry%27s-boat.jpg 
Views:	414 
Size:	98.6 KB 
ID:	17035

Speed does only one thing, it Kills people , not good. I could see how this combonation is not good on the flowage. I do not know of a place it would be good at all for fishing. Looks like the picture was taken at the Cedar Lodge next to Donners Bay.

Photoshop
    Please tell me that motor was photoshopped onto that boat!

Quote Originally Posted by DonH View Post
    Photoshop
    Please tell me that motor was photoshopped onto that boat!
    Yeah, a friend of mine thought that my 75 Optimax just wasn't impressive enough. I guess you just can't trust what you see on the internet, eh?

the original, non-"enhanced" version, and yes, in front of the Cedar Cove A-frames.

Name:	TFF 2009 7.JPG 
Views:	305 
Size:	141.5 KB 
ID:	17036

Yep, those big horsepower boats pass everything...but gas docks!
    George

If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.

That Lund would probably look like this even at idle!

This is the Minocqua ski show's 20' Dyna-Ski with "only" twin 150 E-tecs. Some shows rig them with as much as triple 250s. Looks scary, but I'd love to give it a try. Good example of why you don't want to buy a used motor from a ski show...

Friend of mine who is an Evinrude dealer and works with a lot of show ski teams says this is the quickest way to lose your factory sponsorship. Also voids the warrantee.
    Last edited by George; 06-18-2012 at 10:43 PM. Reason: spelling
    George

If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    Friend of mine who is an Evinrude dealer and works with a lot of show ski teams says this is the quickest way to lose your factory sponsorship. Also voids the warrantee.
    That doesn't make a lot of sense. The company knows what kind of stunts the teams do that they are sponsoring. I would have to think they are pleased that the "Evinrude" is showing clearly on the video.

Evinrude doesn't want advertising like this, bad immage to say the least, That makes a lot of sense for a great Mfr like Evinrude. Have a nice day.

Perchoreno

Of course Evinrude knows they do this. However, they do not condone it as a stunt in a show and it does void the warrantee due to the possiblity of the engine ingesting water. I guess it's like the guy who buys the new Chevy pick-up, puts the lift kit and big tires on it and then discovers he's voided the warrantee. Does Chevy know guys do this? Yep. Will they honor the warrantee? Nope.
    George

I think its great advertising---I actually saw them doing this and all I can tell you is all there were in AWE and talking about it--Here on the forum and others there is talk about it--all GREAT ADVERTSING for evinrude ---I have seen many water ski shows over the years in many parts of the country where we were vacationing at the time---STUNTs like this and others always draw the voice of the crowds. Warranty ??? I wonder if these clubs even care--and I bet the local dealers stand behing them as mjuch as they can up to the point of obvious abuse that can't be explained. Nope==I think the dealers and manufactures LOVE it and all publicity of their products.

I agree - like you said, as long as they're not taking the thing over the jump ramp, I can't imagine the dealer or manufacturer is going to jeopardize a sponsorship opportunity like this. Heck, Evinrude has a promotional video of one of these boats pulling a 48-skier pyramid off a dock. This is just the kind of stuff that sticks in kids' (and big kids') heads until they're ready to become buyers.

It isn't the fact of a team doing the tailwalking stunt that voids the warranty. I wrote that poorly in my previous post. The reason is, if you look at the motors when the boat is fully upright, they are in a position when dropping the boat back down that they could easily go under and ingest water and that is what will void the warranty.

I'm not sure how pulling a large number of skiers off a dock to do the Guiness Book of World Records pyramid has anything to do with it. That event was sponsored by Evinrude and Galles Marine (my dealer friend) and took place right here in Wisconsin Rapids.
    Last edited by George; 06-25-2012 at 09:17 AM.
    George

The relevance is that it's another example of something that wouldn't fall within the terms of the normal consumer warranty. Yes, I'm sure that if you did a tailwalk with your personal boat and sucked water into the engine(s), you'd be paying for the repair. But I don't think anybody needs to be told not to try this at home. And seriously, the first thing that came to your mind watching this was the warranty??? Might be time to consider trading the Princecraft for a pontoon boat

Blue i think i seen 2 of the tour boats in the dells with them, and 1 guy with a pontoon . so that means next spring they will be hitting the flowage, 3 min. to beaver flats priceless. George it will be ok there is not much of a wake .

What makes it a faux comparison is the fact that Evinrude was there for the event, sponsored it, put it on its DVD, and used two of its sponsored show teams, the Aquaskiers and Shermalot Ski Team to set the record. Was this a normal consumer thing? No. So that's kind of like comparing what a normal person does with their Chevy Impala and what Jeff Gordon does with his on Sundays. You have to understand that Evinrude's sponsorship of most show teams is not what you might think it is. They just don't hand out motors and the responsibillity for repairs is the team's. That doesn't mean the local dealer doesn't help out. But that is the local dealer's personal business decision. And as a result, warranty issues are the same as with any other consumer. To your other point, did I think of this when I saw the video...yes. That's because tailwalking has been done and done and done and, well, it's not that big a deal. Finally, I would love to have a pontoon boat...wouldn't give up the Princecraft, but yes, I'd love one. And guess what...Princecraft makes a beauty!
    George

Well, I'm guessing Evinrudes is all right with the whole tailwalking thing, since they are clearly still listed as a sponsor on the sponsor page for the min-aquabats.

Well, I guess it would be interesting to know how many ski teams have ever killed a motor by water ingestion and had to pick up the repair tab. I have to believe that after the first time, the club would put a permanent stop to this or any other activity that had the potential to cost them a lot of money they don't have, and ruin a week or two of shows. But as you suggested, this stunt has been around as long as there have been twin-rig Hydrodynes, which is about 45 years - and it's still going on, which probably tells you something.

As for the factory sponsorship, I would assume it's similar to what my TV fishing show friends get - wholesale cost on the boats, motors and accessories, most of which they can recover if they sell every year. I think most ski clubs hang on to their boats longer, because there can't be much of a market for rigs like this.

Just make sure the pontoon has a a fridge with an ice dispenser, and a grill so you can whip up those hot beef sandwiches!

I have been commenting on this whole thing based on what I've heard from various ski team folks and marine dealers. However, this has gotten to the point that I felt some actual research was in order.

I was able to get a look at the actual dealer program for ski teams, pro fisherman etc. I also agreed to not reveal any exact details. Okay, here we go.

BRP (Bombardier Recreational Products) i.e. Evinrude, has a program with several tiers of support running from a low percentage of discount to a high that is considerably less than 50%. No free motors. It hinges upon the qualifications of the fisherman or ski team. Are they a big deal and do they get around and are they successful in tournaments, or are they pretty much local? Local = lowest percent of discount, top dog = highest percent. It's more complicated than this, but for our purposes here, this is close enough. Once this level has been determined, the pro or ski team is allowed to purchase their motor(s) at the percentage of discount for their level. Once purchased, the cost of any repairs, either covered by warranty or not, are the responsibility of the pro or ski team. In other words, once they get their discount, the repairs are treated exactly the same as any other customer who purchased a motor. So, the ski team boat driver does tailwalk, the driver screws up and the wake washes over the motors, they ingest water, the warranty is voided.

Okay Blue, the important stuff. You really think there's a market for those beef sandwiches sold from a pontoon boat on the TFF? Could have a winner here!
    Last edited by George; 06-28-2012 at 08:44 AM. Reason: spelling
    George

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    Okay Blue, the important stuff. You really think there's a market for those beef sandwiches sold from a pontoon boat on the TFF? Could have a winner here!
    You're darn right there is! I'd vote for having it anchored in the bay just N/NE of the dam, that's a common spot to slow down anyway.

HRG

Name:	portillos-chicago-beef.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	43.3 KB 
ID:	17218

Looks like you have a good suggestion for a menu picture!
    George

Wow, he even got the brand right! Add a wet bar and it definitely seems like a better idea than putting a bell on it and selling ice cream...it would really take the chill off those November walleye days.