www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: report june 5

Default report june 5

beautiful,sunny,temps low-mid 80's though not much wind,could use some.
    surface water temps predicably rising into mid 60's+ depending on area. no hatches seen yet.
    walleyes for the most part moving very shallow,some fish on humps and deeper 12-20',and scattered groups of fish roaming 9-14' flats and weed edges, but major bite is very shallow. anything else is scattered.rocks on inside of weed flats.lite jigs best presentation so far but some starting to come on shad raps and flickker shads as well as gulp.
    mcauleys boated a 29.5" on a spinner rig,gregory 28.5" on a jig.
    some bass on beds,some done but still in spawning areas and rock reed timber combos. some topwater/twitched minnow baits,plastics for searching ,hook and shot or small jigs with leech or tail hooked minnow for finicky spotted fish.penners had #'s of fish to 19" yesterday.
    penners had a 41" pike on eagle and crans had #'s of pike 30-36" and a 42" along with a bunch of nice eyes on a shallow weedy fly-in lake ,both shallow in weeds casting minnow baits and spinner baits . over all #'s of bigger pike casting on eagle has up to this point been slow but yesterday several good ones showed up as weeds are starting to sprout up into good cover with the heat and sun,most must up to this be suspended or deeper,most have been caught by walleye fishermen. a group is going to try a 4wd lake today again targeting a darker water,shallower, weedy type as that seems to be where they are in a more predictable pattern .muskies have been active and getting in the way (2 weeks will be a diff story!) they are grabbing small walleyes and pike daily so obviously feeding and not just recouping from the spawn.
    no lakers fished since last thurs,a group going to give them a try today,should still be 40-60' on avg. try very slow back trolling or bow mnt with white tubes,snap jigging spoons,trolling 1.1-1.5 with spoons, silver/blue or chart minnow baits,cowbells.
    got some opening yet for musky opener on the 16th and some scattered availablity to mid july. great time to be in the northwoods!
    good luck and fill us in on your reports also.
    Andy Myers Lodge
    Steve Herbeck

Web Site: http://www.andymyerslodge.com

Default update 6/5

everything was as said earlier today,hot,flat,sunny,whew!,fish generally scattered but stacked in some spots, some excellent catches made,keep moving,the fish are,good spots from the day before may be slow, stop by 2 hrs later and kick butt. you could have have a slower morning catch 2-4 fish a spot,pull into another spot and hammer time or vice versa. trout bit very good 13 trout boated, 5 lost, 3 over 30".
    Andy Myers Lodge
    Steve Herbeck

Web Site: http://www.andymyerslodge.com

Herbie,
    gotta say a huge thanks again for another great trip on opening week. I continue to be amazed that a fishing smuck like me (and my son although he is getting good) can come up there and in 5 days catch several "trophy" pike over 36" and many (over 50) smaller ones, at least 8 walleyes over 25" with a good solid 32", and a dozen bass over 16" in about 2 hrs of actual bass fishing. and combine this with 9 eating size lake trout in 3 hrs and 2 days where the 2 of us caught over 70 walleyes, you guys just continue to amaze me. the guides were great as usual which makes for a very relaxing trip for me and makes for very efficient fishing for my son and I. so thanks again and we will see you in mid sept for some muskie action, although no one seems to fish for muskies there anymore. LOL