www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Fishing report 5/27-6/1

Default Fishing report 5/27-6/1

Just finished fishing Eagle Lake 5/27 to 6/1 out of Northshore Lodge. Water temps were 53-54 in main basin to 56-57 in backs of bays. A cold spell prior to our arrival brought down the temps from the 60's. Water levels were about 2' below normal levels. Early ice out (april 10th) and warm sunny weather early has contributed to much better weed growth than we have seen in recent years. Walleye fishing our first day was excellent as we found nice walleyes (17"-23") in 4'-5' of water and holding tight to emerging rice beds. These fish although active were not chasing and a very slow presentation of either small jigs tipped with minnows or spinners slowly backtrolled were necessary for success. Regardless of presentation if you were not having to occasionally clean your bait you were in the wrong place. If backtrolling a spinner I would suggest a superline that provides a smaller diameter that will help cut through the weeds and for a sinker choice opt for a bullet weight instead of split shot as this will also prevent less hang ups. If jigs are your choice use the lightest possible that still allows you to stay vertical. If your line is not staying straight up and down drop to a heavy size. After a significant cold front rolled through with overnight lows below freezing, leaving frost on the ground...OUCH!, we had to switch gears as the shallow water spawning bay bite abandoned us. We found excellent numbers of mostly slot sized fish in main lake bays holding off deeper weed edges in 12' of water. These fish were active all week and insulated us from the cold front as the water temp drop here was much less a factor as it was in the shallower bays. The only adjustment to our spinner presentation was to change to a heavier bullet weight. If you get the chance do not overlook the after dinner bite as this proved to be dynamic as the colder water temps meant slower action early and improving throughout the day. The end of the week finally brought better weather and on the last day Friday the Walleyes were once again stacked in the emerging weed beds as water temps got into the mid 60's. If the weather stays stable expect the next few weeks to be outstanding fishing for both numbers and size. I would also expect main lake structure to turn on earlier this year as the deeper bay fish transition to their early summer homes. Don't be afraid to run your electronics over these mid lake points and reefs. We found consistent Pike action fishing the deeper weed areas in 10'. Nothing huge but many slot sized fish and a few up to 37". When the walleye fishing slowed at times we just took our trolling line in a little shallower and targeted the cabbage growth in 10'. This kept us active and allowed our hands to get some exercise in the cold. The cold front all but eliminated the casting bite for us this week but with what appears to be a bumper crop of weed growth I would expect the next few weeks to be outstanding for Pike action. Rip crank baits such as 3/4 and 1 ounce rattle traps over this emerging cabbage and expect lot's of action. We saw two Musky's this week a mid 40" fish that followed a rattle trap to the boat and a low 50" fish that followed a hooked small northern. Much like the pike I would expect the Musky opener to be dynamic as they too will benefit from the early weed growth. Should you hook one incidentally prior to the opener remember to water release these fish as quickly as possible. Smallmouth action was slower than normal as they were not chasing much this week under the cold front conditions. Males were hunkered down on black streaks inside the bull rush shallows and if you got a jig past their mouth you got bit but the action was slow going for the most part. We saw much more action on Friday as the water temps pushed into the mid 60's with smallies actively cruising the shallows. Weather permitting I expect the spawn to happen soon if it has not already by the time of this writing and for the males to be on the beds for the next 30 days or so. Overall the cold weather not withstanding a solid week of fishing. The next few weeks appear set-up for some outstanding action. Thanks as always to our hosts Mark and Brenda as they always work hard to make your stay a good one. Also a tip of the cap to Julian who keeps your stay worry free from an equipment standpoint. If your headed that way you should be in great shape for an exceptional bite and if your thinking about it you just might want to make it happen as it is shaping up to be a great year.

Thanks for the update Weedlinerunner! We're headed to North Shore June 9 and hope that the bite is ON! Curious if you'd share where the majority of boats were heading - was everyone running all the way down into Osborne or were you able to find fish closer? Also did you try the river mouth just west of the lodge (maybe that is your after dinner bite)? Should we bring nightcrawlers or is it too early for that? We had our best year yet last year, so if the fishing keeps getting better as it has the past several years, 2012 should be awesome. It is always such a pleasure to be back up with Mark and Brenda at North Shore, and I can hardly wait to board that Lamers bus!! Thanks again for the info, I'll let you know how our week turns out!

Don't mind sharing at all.....Boats were headed pretty much everywhere after the cold front, the search was on, we personally don't fish the river mouth but some were having success there with the walleyes. Looking at the forecast you should find excellent fishing close to the lodge, Spring,Mukluk and Stanton Bay should all be producing in good numbers,just concentrate on the new weed growth, when water levels are down this cover is even more important. After dinner don't be afraid to fish Eagle bay....it get's no pressue...is 5 minutes from camp and provides some of the best deep weed growth you'll find. As for nightcrawlers they will certainly work this time of the year but I am not so sure they will work that much better than minnows that it makes it worth the bother to transport them but if you prefer them they will put fish in the boat. Your timing looks like it should be spot on and it could be the perfect storm, coming off the last cold front and with the current water temps and cover available it looks like you should hit the pre-summer peak. Good Luck and good fishing.

Thanks again Weedlinerunner. Anxious to get on the lake and see what we can find. Sounds like walleye sizes might have been a bit smaller for you than last year? I still want to catch a 10 pounder (30 inches??) so I can have a replica made for the wall - know of any good places for replicas? Maybe if I think positive it will bring good luck! By the way, any rocks that are usually down far enough that we should look out for and steer clear of? Usually it is too early for anyone to have marked the rocks that might threaten the lower unit. Also if you have any suggestions on how to best use the fishfinders on the North Shore boats to locate prime spots and/or fish that would be appreciated. Can you see deep weed growth on the finders or mostly bottom depth and fish echos? Do you always go the first week - and have you ever fished Eagle during mid-summer? Thanks.!!

Walleye size was down for us this year, but don't let that worry you, I'm pretty certain you will have much more consistant weather than we did and this lake is to good not to provide opportunities. As far as a replica should you catch that trophy your after, I am biased but would suggest going to your local Bass Pro Shops. They can order replicas from their Springfield store. They have a outlet called wildlife creations that does outstanding work. I am guessing you are unguided from your question on the rocks and if that is indeed the case you should be careful. Stay on your regular paths to your fishing spots and when fishing new water be careful and watchful. The lower lake levels have indeed brought reefs into play that you might not have noticed in the past. Of the bays I listed above be most careful with mukluk as there is significant rock structure gaurding the entrance to that bay. The depth finders at Northshore are preconfigured and they without a doubt will show you weedlines and other structure including rocks so in unfamiliar water keep it slow to get the lay of the land both for cover and safety. I fish there early every season but have fished some in mid june,mid july as well as a few trips in september. Again your timing should be right in the wheel house for an excellent bite for all species. Good luck and let me know how you did.

Thanks for all the tips Weedlinerunner! Yes we go unguided now, not that the guys aren't great - we simply feel comfortable now after having used guides for the first few years. But only being there once a year means limited opportunities to learn the submerged rocks - so will plan to be extra careful, thanks! The weather forecast looks okay, a bit more wind than I'd like a couple of days, so we'll see how it all turns out. I'll be sure to give you an update, plan to bring the laptop with us so might even be able to post while in camp! Very much appreciate your posts, maybe we will be in camp at the same time some year! Can't wait to see how big the pet Northern's are now!! Cheers!

Just back after a weeklong trip 6/9 - 6/16. Had another great trip despite some tough weather conditions. Wind was up almost all week, Friday was the best (lowest) wind we had. ALso rain and storms two evenings kept us completely off the lake. While all-in-all it was a bit slow, and the camp total for over the slot fish was less than usual, there were some really nice fish caught. One guest got a 32" walleye while another got a 29 and 3/4 inch eye. Our party did well too, with walleye at 23, 24, 25 and 27" boated. Both of my sons also landed muskies, a 38" and 30" fish that bit while jigging for walleye and trolling for pike. Walleye were in the weeds, in about 8 to 12 feet of water - but one guide also found them deeper at 27 feet. A jig and minnow seemed to work best, but we also caught walleye on little joe spinners. Nightcrawlers seemed not to be preferred, and the one leech I tried got bit off by a northern. Spring Bay did not produce until Friday afternoon when the wind finally had blown in there for a bit. The river mouth was popular due to the windy big water, but it was also producing fish. Stanton seemed to be where the bigger fish were caught, but we did not do all that well there. Not a single bass for us, but we did not really target them at all in part due to the conditions. And once again I came home gaining 6 pounds due to Brenda's excellent cooking! It was nice to see Mark, Brenda and Julian again, and 'ol Boomer was a happy as ever! Now to start dreaming about next years trip!