www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Huge Northern and Big Walleyes

Cool Huge Northern and Big Walleyes

Despite another 50+ degree temperature swing again this week, fish continue to hit. You have to chase the bite around, but success is there to be had.

NORTHERNS continue to rampage, patrolling weedbeds and eating anything that crosses their path. Some nice-sized fish are hitting. We caught a 42-inch 20 lb. northern on Wednesday using a jig and minnow. We also caught pike on spinner baits and cranks. Concentrate on weeds and fish fairly shallow within 1 to 13 feet.

WALLEYES have been doing good also. The bite definitely picks up as the day warms. These 31 degree mornings make them sluggish. Jig and minnow combos continue to produce the best results, but leeches have also been a mainstay in the boat. On the warmer afternoons, crawlers work the best, so take a variety of bait. We caught a lot of fish this week in the 20 to 27 inch class. On dark water I’ve been finding them in 2-5 feet and on clear lakes in 10-13 feet. An aggressive jigging action works well.

Be on the lookout for mayflies. This is one of the biggest reasons for active fish during this cold front. I’ve been receiving reports from around the area of massive hatches taking place. Personally, I’ve begun to see one here and there popping up on some of the waters I’ve been on, but I can see them on the graph and expect hatches to take place within the week. If you’re heading out the best lakes to try would be the ones that haven’t had a hatch yet. Stop and ask at your local bait shop.

Catch you on the lakes. Good luck fishing.

Jeff Winters
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Paul 2.JPG 
Views:	376 
Size:	58.3 KB 
ID:	16736   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jeff.JPG 
Views:	379 
Size:	42.9 KB 
ID:	16737  
    Jeff's Guide Service
    Jeff Winters

Web Site: http://www.jeffsguideservice.com
    E-Mail:jeffwintersguide@gmail.com
    Phone: 715-385-9313