www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: May 24 Fishing Report

Cool May 24 Fishing Report

Hi Folks.

It’s been a very windy week here in the northwoods as a variety of weather systems moved through. Last weekend the hot weather came in – air temps in the high 80’s along with night-time temps around 70 spiked the water temps to 67 degrees. Fish responded favorably to this and put on a great bite – the best I’ve seen this season. By Monday, severe cold fronts came with overnight temps dropping to 30. This 59 degree drop plummeted water temps back down to 60. This did have an effect on fishing but not as much as you would think. Fish remained active, but walleyes got smaller and changed their food a bit. We are now seeing warm weather again. This spells “good fishing” for anglers heading out this weekend.

If you’re chasing WALLEYES, concentrate your efforts in wood or shallow weeds. Take a variety of bait with you. Minnows and leeches have been working well, but if hot weather hits you better have some crawlers. Fish are just looking for a reason to eat these meaty morsels.

NORTHERNS continue to rampage throughout all the different weathers. Put a minnow on a jig and cast the shallows. I fell spinner baits could be fun as these fish are being very aggressive.

PANFISH have remained good. I’ve been catching nice 12 to 14 inch crappies every day lately. I’m searching them out in small groups around old reeds in very shallow water. Jigs & minnow or cubbie type jigs are working very well. Some good lakes to start on would be Clear and Wild Rice Lakes on the Manitowish Chain.

For you MUSKY enthusiasts, this is the BIG Weekend ! Opener arrives Saturday and it looks good. With warmer water temps your entire arsenal should be available. Fish have been moving around lately; we’ve seen them following our walleyes. These fish are hanging where the food is, and so should you. Search out weedbeds and timber piles. Shallows are also holding food.

Have a great Memorial Day weekend and good luck on the lakes!

Jeff Winters
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tim and steve.JPG 
Views:	271 
Size:	82.8 KB 
ID:	16552   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tim and steve 2.JPG 
Views:	256 
Size:	49.5 KB 
ID:	16553  
    Jeff's Guide Service
    Jeff Winters

Web Site: http://www.jeffsguideservice.com
    E-Mail:jeffwintersguide@gmail.com
    Phone: 715-385-9313