www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Fishing Report 5/22/12

Default Fishing Report 5/22/12

Fishing over the weekend was excellent! Water temps are in the 64 to 67 degree range and winds were out of the south with gusts up to 30 mph. Breezy, partly cloudy and just plain awesome fishing weather! The walleye and northern pike action has been intense and the presentation for success at this time of the season couldn’t be easier - a 1/16th oz jig rigged with a fathead minnow. Slip bobbers rigs are also working and the wave/wind action can really make for some excellent bobber action! All of the spots that were producing the best action were being pounded by the wind.

For jig color, contrasting patterns have worked best with chartreuse being one of the colors in the mix. Saturday we were getting lots of smaller walleye and on Sunday larger fish were really showing up with many walleye in the 18 to 20 inch range being caught, which is great for the Eagle River Chain… a nice thunder storm was moving in Sunday afternoon so perhaps that had something to do with the bigger fish. Pike up to 30 inches have been fairly common too but most have been in the 22-24 inch range. We have also started to catch some nice crappie as well.

Weed growth has been right on schedule with the weed edge at about 7, maybe 8 feet, on the chain. Some fish are up cruising the flats and some are being taken on the edge - just keep mixing it up, one cast parallel the next perpendicular…

I have started to see some muskie activity as well with a few fish being taken on the jig and minnow. Just a reminder, the size limit on many of our northern Wisconsin waters has been increased to 40 inches with the intent of increasing the number of larger muskies while also lowering hatchery costs by boosting natural reproduction. New lakes have also been added to the 28-inch and 50-inch size limits too so be sure to check the regulations. TERMINAL TACKLE - check it and re-check it! As you do a check over on your gear be sure to play close attention to the details - frayed line, worn out snaps, frayed fluorocarbon leaders, rusted split rings, worn out hooks and damaged rod guides. Those of you who know me know that I am absolutely crazy about making sure my terminal tackle (aka things you have control over) is in near perfect shape but even under meticulous watch, things can still happen. A couple years ago I lost one of the largest muskies I have ever hooked on the Three Lakes Chain because of split ring failure - the sad part of the story was that the split rings were all new…a factory defect? Maybe? (picture attached) Bottom line, check and re-check and…check again. Retie your knots with passion! Haha…ok I am probably going on a bit of a rant here but you get my point!!!

Good luck and fish hard!

Chas Martin
    http://www.muskymastery.com
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	walleye1.jpg 
Views:	411 
Size:	11.8 KB 
ID:	16495   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2467.JPG 
Views:	438 
Size:	45.8 KB 
ID:	16499   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2469.JPG 
Views:	421 
Size:	56.9 KB 
ID:	16500   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2476.JPG 
Views:	423 
Size:	51.4 KB 
ID:	16501   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2064.JPG 
Views:	481 
Size:	111.6 KB 
ID:	16502  

Chas Martin
    Musky Mastery Guide Service
    Web Site: http://www.muskymasteryguideservice.com

I know the feeling, Chas. You experienced it with me. Don't trust tying your leader direct to your main line. Use a swivel. That hurt for a long, long, long time.

Ron,

I remember it like it was yesterday...and I definitely agree with you - that was a nice fish no doubt about it. You absolutely slammed the hooks into that fish and she didn't budge. It really hurts when you can't see 'em....you just never know how big they are. And talk about awesome weather conditions that evening...and beautiful with that storm moving in!

Congratulations again on the new boat! Wishing you big fish this year and good luck in the new rig!

Chas
    http://www.muskymastery.com
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2012-05-24 at 9.06.20 PM.jpg 
Views:	323 
Size:	12.3 KB 
ID:	16551  
    Chas Martin
    Musky Mastery Guide Service
    Web Site: http://www.muskymasteryguideservice.com