www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Start of the musky season

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Completely agree. Older generations weren't educated on the benefits of C & R or selective harvest, but we are. Its a shame that anyone would take a musky to eat it, especially the bigger sizes. After fishing many northern wisconsin lakes, canadian lakes, and minnesota lakes, I have caught and seen so many more 50 inch musky in canada and minn, but majority of my time is spent in wisconsin. Coincidence.....don't think so. When Canada Implemented the 54 inch minimum, the musky fishing has gotten better every year. IMO, its just selfish to keep a fish that could end up creating so many more memories for future generations by catching that fish again along with the spawn that fish will produce year in and year out. Don't mean to start anything, its just hard to believe with so many great eating fish like walleye, northern, and panfish that people actually eat musky. We all know thats what the older generations did and were taught, but that doesn't make it right.

Do you see Musky at the fish counter at Triggs??? No!!!! You know why, thier popoulation in a typical lake is a fraction of the other species.

Its a trophy fish, not a fish to throw on the grill. Do you know how long it takes a musky to get to legal not to mention trophy size??

Many Many years.

Default Filet mignon steak

Quote Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
    Do you see Musky at the fish counter at Triggs??? No!!!! You know why, thier popoulation in a typical lake is a fraction of the other species.

Its a trophy fish, not a fish to throw on the grill. Do you know how long it takes a musky to get to legal not to mention trophy size??

Many Many years.
    I'm sure glad that we're not talking about black Angus cattle. It takes 3 years to raise one for butchering. Great eating too.
    No catch and release here in Iowa.

muskies grow at a rate of three inches per year until they hit around 36" or so. From then on they grow at a rate of 1 1/2 inches per year. This info came from an old Muskie Inc. magazine.
    My personal best on the tff is 47 1/2 inches..... thought that a fish that lived as long as this one did, deserved to be released..... as do all muskies!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF0789.jpg 
Views:	295 
Size:	198.3 KB 
ID:	16982Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF0804.jpg 
Views:	288 
Size:	192.1 KB 
ID:	16983

Caught both of these Saturday on the same cast with a 5" Rapala and 8 lb test. Thanks to my son Cade's nice net job. The musky was released. The northern didn't survive the 30 minute ride.