Hi Folks.

Fishing is moving right along and the second week is beginning to show us some distinct patterns. From a physical standpoint, fish seem to be in late-May form, but area lakes are more in line with opening week conditions. Water temps are trying to creep up. I’m seeing 60 in the morning and 65 at the end of the day. Wednesday morning showed us 29 degree air temp – this is what needs to stop. Once we see some consistency in the weather, the bite should get crazy. I’m still receiving reports of mixed success on lakes throughout the area. The one constant is patience. Work your areas long and hard and good things will happen.

Walleyes have been doing pretty good. I’ve been having some good success on some very nice sized walleye, 18 to 22 inchers are common. You’re going to have to bring different types of bait with you when heading out. Jigs or slip-bobbers tipped with minnows is still the number one method. Leeches are beginning to produce on some lakes and we have picked up a couple of fish on crawlers. Weeds are where you want to concentrate your efforts and deeper wood is the place to be on the area flowages.

Northerns have been rampaging this week. If you want to catch these, get yourself some medium chubs and hit the weeds. Jigs or bobbers should work the best.

Panfish reports are starting to come in. While I haven’t found them, mainly because I’m not fishing areas they are in, many anglers are having some success. Reports of crappies on the beds are beginning to filter in, and perch are showing up in the shallow weeds.

It sounds like a warm, but wet weekend lies ahead, but this should trigger some great fishing opportunities for area anglers.

Well, that’s it for now; see you out there.

Jeff Winters