www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: RFRG 5/17 Fishing Report w/Muskie Matt

Default RFRG 5/17 Fishing Report w/Muskie Matt

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	shallowbass3.jpg 
Views:	343 
Size:	143.3 KB 
ID:	16420Click image for larger version. 

Name:	shallowbass2.jpg 
Views:	335 
Size:	172.2 KB 
ID:	16419

As Pete has mentioned, now is the time for some hot smallie action! Both our lakes and rivers are giving up great smallmouth action right now. Its a very simple approach at this time, just look for their fanned out "beds", lighter colored circles in shallow shoreline areas. Some stealth is required, you can't just blast in with your 20ft/250hp Ranger, ya gotta kinda creep on em'. Same goes when wading shallow waters. One photo I posted shows a fish that was laying at the head of a small island, facing into the current, the only reason I got the picture is because I was able to walk on land (quietly) up to a brush pile that had been washed up by high water and peeked over it. The next photo is the same fish, I caught him by wading way around, very slowly and quietly, then long casting into the area. Generally speaking, they're pretty agressive when something lands near one of their "beds".

My lure selection is very basic too. All I did was add one of my 1/8oz walleye jigs to a Beetle Spin spinner bait wire and stick a twisty tail on it. Its enough weight to cast and has a single hook which prevents most snags, allowing the bait to be bounced over logs/rocks,etc.

A word about the wading: Its not easy, it requires good balance and sure footing. Think of walking on slippery bowling balls while either resisting or being pushed by a pretty good current. Your legs will be tired after a few hours of this type of "hiking". I've soaked my share of cell phones while fishing smallies, best to leave the phone behind or at least ziploc it. Advance slowly with each step being very deliberate, feeling your way along with your feet. Interestingly, being waist deep or a bit more is actually easier due to the water supporting your body weight. I've taken more plunges in thigh deep water...

I'll be heading out to see what the waldos are doing today. A few days back they were in the shallow weeds, 3-6ft of water on the ER Chain, where ever you could find new weed growth (good luck with that, see next post).

Good fishing and be safe out there.

Nice stalking of that smallie. Reminds me of the bone fish fishermen in the Keys. What's the story with the muskie bite? Are you still preaching that high noon is the best?

I used to flats fish in the Keys a lot, probably where I picked up the knack of "stalking smallies", hahahaha!

Depending on time of year, yes, there can be a great mid-day bite going on. Often during times when it wouldn't be suspected, high skies, heat, cold fronts, there can be a great daytime muskie bite going. You just have to be out there fishing to see if its happening or not.

I've never flats fished the Keys. I just watch it on TV and dream about doing it one day. I have stalked some rainbows and brownies in the clear waters of the White River in Arkansas.

Have you ever caught a muskie on a fly rod?

Just a footnote for those walleye fishing. They're still in the weeds. Took a few hours Saturday to get a jump on musky fishing and check out equipment on Escanaba lake and my son Pete picked up a bonus walleye on a small bucktail. Saw other fishermen anchored and dippin' for waldos in the same areas we had been hitting the last couple weeks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	002.JPG 
Views:	258 
Size:	75.2 KB 
ID:	16485  

Pete Stoltman Regular Fishin' Regular Guys
    www.rfrgoutdoors.com
    rfrgoutdoors2@gmail.com
    (715) 614-4142

Default Fly Rod Muskie

Quote Originally Posted by BigBassBrett View Post
    I've never flats fished the Keys. I just watch it on TV and dream about doing it one day. I have stalked some rainbows and brownies in the clear waters of the White River in Arkansas.

Have you ever caught a muskie on a fly rod?
    BBB: Yes I have, couple times early in the season when I can "sight fish" them.