www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Awesome Panfishing

Default Awesome Panfishing

Wow the panfish action has been hot in the Phillips area and it's not limited to one body of water it's on almost all area lakes. The Bluegill population seems to be at an all time high and the size structure is good as well. It's nothing to catch a meal of 8 to 9.5 inch gills in the area right now. The gills have moved in to the shallow areas of the lake to spawn and are easy to target. Look for them on sunny shorelines with wood or reeds. Fish them using simple light tackle, An ultra lite rod/reel with 5 pound power pro, a #6 light wire hook, a small bobber and some waxies or panfish worms and your set to get a meal.

I think that the spike in the panfish population is a direct result of the weed explosion from the last few years along with lake residents doing tree and brush drops along their shorelines. The extra cover sheltered and provided food for the young fish. More people are also being selective with their harvest of the fish and taking only what they need instead of "filling the freezer".

Pictured is client Nancy with one of the gills that she caught on a trip with us on 5/16/2012
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	003.jpg 
Views:	301 
Size:	189.6 KB 
ID:	16418  
    Ross's Sport Shop & Fishing Guide Service
    John Carlson

Web Site: http://www.rosssportshop.com

John:

Great to hear that kind of fishing is going on!!! I just wanted to compliment Nancy's hold on that fish!!! Too many times I see these TV guys holding these bigger panfish and bass by the lower jaw ONLY and that kind of grates my goat!!! Even if they are 10" gill, how does a big guy even get his thumb in there anyway???

Oh still getting some 'eyes over here, too...

Mark
    Last edited by Mark Benson; 05-17-2012 at 03:28 PM.