www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: This weeks fishing report

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default This weeks fishing report

The walleye fishing has been tough out here. There are groups of walleye traveling around with the crappie so if the crappie move so do the walleye. If you get on the walleye there are some schools of 12 to 18 inch males that are grouping up so it can be fun but to find the larger females is pretty tough. The best bet is to fish deeper just to catch a few small ones. We had some tough walleye days but some great panfish and bass days this week. Not hard to catch panfish right now. Bring lots of baits. We did see a guy fishgt a big muskie for quite a while a couple days ago. He didn't have a chance with 6 pound line. Cool to see though.

Good luck everyone,
    Ty Sennett Muskie Fishing Guide Service
    & Sennett Musky Tackle Company
    8914 N. Conner Lane
    Hayward, WI 54843
    Land Phone: 715-462-9403
    Cell Phone: 612-839-1227
    Web Site: http://www.tysennett.com

Thanks for the report. What’s the deal on Largemouth Bass right now? Can I and should I keep them?

I think the largemouth bass season is still closed. I'm not sure. I don't keep any and you don't need to keep them unless you want to. They aren't a problem out here. That whole bass are eating all my walleye is a joke. The bass are hitting good in the shallows though. By the time you get this it might be too late. I had some family up late last week so I didn't keep up on the fishing reports very much.

Hope you had fun up here. The weather was awesome.
    8914 N. Conner Lane
    Hayward, WI 54843

Yes the weather was awesome! It was a great weekend to be up. The fishing was pretty good too. Over the weekend we caught 50 crappies, 15 Largemouth and 12 pike. We mainly fished the west side not far from camp. We found the crappies in wood in the deeper parts of back bays and bogs. We released most and some looked like they had not spawned. The largemouth were up on their beds biting pretty well. Some had some really distinct markings and other were so bland they had no side markings. The bass don’t open for a couple of weeks, but there is no size limit on the largemouth. I tried eating a few last year, but didn’t care for them. I’d rather eat a northern before a bass. Water temps were in the mid 60’s and there are some spots with some beautiful weed growth. I need to get back up very soon.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jess's Bass.jpg 
Views:	247 
Size:	74.1 KB 
ID:	16503

Sounds like you two had fun. Thanks for the picture and the update. I'm with you on eating the pike. Pretty darn tasty if I don't say so myself.
    8914 N. Conner Lane
    Hayward, WI 54843

Although not proven yet there is a great deal of evidence showing that Largemouths and Walleyes do not thrive in the same body of water. There are a number of lakes around that are showing this trend and all of which used to be some of the best walleye fisheries around. Sissabagama, Upper Long, Island Chain of Lakes, (Balsam, Round, Butternut all in Polk County) just to name a few. I don't fish the Flowage but I do have friends that do and they say that the walleye population is down out there from years in the past hence which maybe the reason crappies and largemouths are doing so well there. I stay on Sand and for 25 years we maybe caught a half dozen largemouths and now the past couple years we have caught quite a few. I sure hope this lake does not fall victim to this as well. My advice is to keep them all! If you don't want to eat them I am sure someone or something will.