Fishing in Vilas and Onidea counties has been very consistent the last week or so. There have been a few ups and down with the weather and wind directions but have been able to find fish daily. Walleyes have been taken consistently with jig and minnow combinations in new weed growth which is starting almost everywhere in the last few days. Fish enter these areas to do one thing and that is feed! When they are there you can have a blast. Last evening we pulled a dozen fish out of a 10 by 20 foot weed patch. 1/16oz jigs either in glow white or chartreuse have work best for us. You will also find northern pike in and around these weeds and casting small perch crank baits will be effective on these fish as well.

Crappies are in full swing on most lakes in the area and will be finishing up in the next week or so as water temps have warmed on most lakes to support this spawning activity.

Also made a flying trip to bay of Green Bay last weekend to take my first charter of the year on the lower bay. What can I say the lower bay can be a blast this time of year. We caught walleyes 15-24 inches both days. I will be taking more trips to the bay come June and these fish can be caught jigging NOT trolling!