www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: State record smallmouth?

Default State record smallmouth?

Been thinking about this one for weeks.

Think it's out there somewhere in the TFF?

The incredibly fast growth rates could make it possible. As do the forage, acreage, and habitat. But the correspondingly fast life span of these fish might not.

But makes me wonder.

A kid in Boulder Junction caught and kept a near 9-pounder for some bait shop contest last summer, so a smallmouth of epic proportions can probably be just about anywhere within a 50 mile radius.

Can't wait to try the quest again till 2 weeks from now.
    Andrew

No, the upper limit seems to be 20-21", maybe 6 lbs. Nice smallies, but not a state record. Somebody please disagree with me.

I'll disagree.

About 2 years ago I was drifting through the north end of the Flats with my brother-in-law and one of his kids. I had a jumbo leech out behind the boat while I was casting with the wind. The breeze was pretty strong and I had a hit on the leech. I fought that fish for quite a while and had it near the boat more than once. We all got a good look at it and it was a huge, absolutely huge smallie. I've caught a 20" before (actually 20.25"), and this fish was larger by at several inches, and I am 100% certain of that.

The fight was just lasting so long, I started to worry about the hook working free, as I just could not get this fish to the boat on the rod I had her on. A 16" walleye is a ball on this rod. A huge smallie, not so much! Anyway, the hook did pull free and the fish was still about 20' from the boat. I really doubt if I encountered the largest smallie on the flowage, so there are some real monsters out there.

I agree with DonH. My brother had a really big smallie on last year that he lost at the boat. Definately in the 20" category. Of course I would have landed it!
    George

If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.

There are some smallies in the area that are reaching REALLY big sizes. The last few years I've had several 20" and 21" in my boat caught by myself and guests and a handful of even bigger ones hooked and lost. Don't think they were 9 pounders but awfully big fish.

Pete Stoltman Regular Fishin' Regular Guys
    www.rfrgoutdoors.com
    rfrgoutdoors2@gmail.com
    (715) 614-4142

I caught an honest 21.5" smallie from shore last year on the TFF. We could not weigh it as we were there shore fishing for only a few hours and did not bring any type of scale with us. Did measure it exactly though as I always carry a tape with me---Early spring MAY 17th--Fish hadn't spawned yet and had a HUGE GIRTH----I know the fish had to be 6 1/2 -7 lbs. Did I catch the biggest smallie in the TFF---I know the answer to that is no way----Has to be 7+ pounders out there and probably many of them----early spring 23" before spawn might be that 9 lber we are looking for. I keep up the hope and will take my shot in a couple weeks.