www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Group Campsites

Default Group Campsites

Hi all,
    I've been to the TFF a few times over the years. This summer, as an alternative to our Canada trip we are going to do TFF for a week and I have some questions about camping. Our group will consist of 8 people including my father, brother, brother-in-law, 3 nephews and my brothers girlfriend. Technically we do not meet the exception to the 6 person limit per site as listed on the dnr site, even though all but one of us are related... Is that strictly enforced?? If so, how likely would it be to find one of the two first come first served group sites open mid-week in late July? Finally, has anyone been to any of the reserveable group sites?? At first glance on the map it looks like they are all right next to each other, that seems like it would take a lot of the fun out of the wilderness camping experience, especially if you were next to a loud and obnoxious group... Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
    Thanks,
    Eric

Can't answer the enforcement question, but I have seen the DNR around the reservables quite a bit.

I would guess that you would be okay, but I can't promise it. Most of the commercial outfitters and camps need a sure thing months in advance so they reserve their group sites. I have been there and seen all of the reservables taken, while the non-reservables sat empty. I would also say, however, that the reservable group sites are nice, and I think it would take an extremely loud group to create a problem for you, at least at the southern group. The outhouse is a definite step up from the non-reservable pits.

I recommend G1 for a non-reservable, or G3 if you want to reserve one. There are also many places where you can find two of the smaller sites close together. That may not be a bad backup plan if you risk it and plan for the non-reservables.

Hope your trip is great!

Turtle-Flambeau Flowage, Butternut,Wisconsin

andreej1

You should contact Chris Niehaus of the WDNR who manages the TFF. You can call her at the Mercer DNR office at 715-476-2240 or email her at christenea.niehaus@wisconsin.gov for information.

You could also just leave the girlfriend at home! LOL

Unless everyone is immediate family exceeding the 6 person limit is not allowed. We learned this the hard way after thinking a group consisting of fathers and sons from the same family would be ok. That ended our camping and we now rent a cabin and enjoy heat, refrigeration, and a roof.

We're gonna try G-2 this year. Otherwise F-7 & F-10 would be a good combination.

A couple weeks ago, we stopped at F14 for lunch. Wow! I believe this campsite is still in service, but it looks like, er, a tornado went through there!\ Trees down everywhere. DNR did a bunch of chainsawing to open it up, but wow, what a surreal campsite. I cannot imagine being there when the tornado hit.

Just catchin up on the posts on this forum! Musky Randy, we can!

In case you missed the video we did for Wisconsin Emergency Mangement, here it is with lots of scenes fron the nite and the morning after:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRjcyIg7Ytc

I have a video taken by the people that went out to retrieve our gear that was taken the next morning... I should get some tech help to figure out how to post it (Blue???!!), it's kind of like a Blair Witch Project home video of them trying to walk thru the capsite! The guys said it was every tree that went down in the campsite was aimed at the table.

People ask what our lasting memories of the tornado are.... I tell 'em the copays and deductibles!! Glad to be alive to pay 'em!

Buy a weather radio... or 2... or 3! Take care, Larrynrita!

There are 2 groups right now on the south end (R7 and 10) that have 4 and 5 boats a piece, multiple tents and carport - style awnings, clearly large groups.

Default bonies mound camping area

Quote Originally Posted by beelzebob View Post
    There are 2 groups right now on the south end (R7 and 10) that have 4 and 5 boats a piece, multiple tents and carport - style awnings, clearly large groups.
    Why don't anyone use the silent bonies mound area for camping? It is beautiful back there.Maye too hard to find
    for beginners? A TFF map should be a good guide to it.
    I quit fishing in there just to let it become a pure no wake area and my boat can't move without making some sort of a wake.