www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Tranx vs calcutta

Default Tranx vs calcutta

I am buying a new reel for musky. I mainly throw bucktails but will also throw almost anything. Wondering which one would be recommended by anyone that has used either one. Basically looking for a reel that will handle the big double tens along with a mepps musky killer. I know the tranx is new and is cheaper than the Calcutta, but if the Calcutta is that much better wont mind spending the extra cash.

Thanks

Not sure if you've pulled the trigger yet but here's some help. First of all the Tranx comes in two different gear configurations hi and low gearing. The Tranx is more expensive than the Calcutta. Tranx retails at $500.00 while the Calcutta is usually about $370.00. The Tranx reel is much larger and heavier than the Calcutta and while I'm sure it has the ability to cast smaller baits I think you'll find the Calcutta a bit more versatile for all around use. If you want to dedicate a rig to throwing the big blades then the Tranx should be right up your alley but for smaller to standard size bucktails the Calcutta gets my vote. It will cast the big stuff too but it will not be quite as easy on the retrieve and the Tranx will be faster with line pickup at about 30 to 40 inches per handle turn depending on which model you buy. Hope that helps.

Pete Stoltman Regular Fishin' Regular Guys
    www.rfrgoutdoors.com
    rfrgoutdoors2@gmail.com
    (715) 614-4142

Thanks for the reply, I could of sworn I saw the Tranx for sale in the mid 2 hundred dollar range. But after shopping around your right, $500. That is one expensive reel! I'm headin up to the northwoods next week and am planning on stopping at Rollie and Helen's. Will have both reels in front of me and I think I will make the final descision then. Thanks again and good Luck to ya.

Default Reels

Just my opinion but the Calcutta is a very good all around reel for every thing
    Don and Lynn Pursch
    Nielsen's Fly-In Lodge
    Rowan Lake, Nestor Falls, Ontario
    Phone: 800-653-5946