www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Fish fry recommendations?

Default Fish fry recommendations?

We're headed up in late June with a large group (15 or so) and plan on passing along the tradition of Friday night fish fry. Any recommendations? When I was a kid we'd head to the Midway and have Ed set us up.

Turtle-Flambeau Flowage, Butternut,Wisconsin

Keep the tradition going by calling Shane and Molly who now own the Midway. Their number is 715-769-3680 and they can "set you up." They are closed on Wednesdays.

The Turtle-Flambeau Flowage Association has a great website for info on the area. Take a look at www.turtleflambeuflowage.com and I think you will find answers to many of your questions.

Your right on about your mention of the Midway, it isn't good ---------, it is excellent. Choice of potatoes, fires, baked etc. great breading on the fish, just right, tasty cole slaw, good service, Shane and Molly are great !!. I recomend them , reasonable for great tasting fish fry. They also have the room for you, oh and the Bar is just the tastieest thing you could ever want to put your elbo on. If your lucky Shane will have one of his young and beautiful college people helping out. They all are great. Can't say enough about the Midway. Go for it.

Hi Scott, jeepers I thought I would get the first word in, your fast on the trigger to say the least. Shane and Molly are better than words can express.

Which landing are you using? If you use the Springstead landing Midway is about 40 miles away. Good choice if you go out of Sportsman's Landing or Donner's. Gateway has good eats if you use Fisherman's landing and if you use Springstead the Round-Up is by far the best on that side, Springstead lodge is good too. I haven't tried the Frontier since it reopened but heard good things. If you want pizza The Birches is the best.

Default Best ever fish fry

If you really want the best fish fry, why not do what we do. Get a good fire going, grease up a few cast iron pans, and eat the fresh fish you just caught. Here are the simple steps:

1 - catch some walleyes
    2 - fillet the walleyes
    3 - have a nice cold beer or a whiskey manhattan
    4 - mix the batter and bread the fish (we use regular Shore Lunch)
    5 - cut up a bunch of potatoes (why you need more than 1 cast iron pan)
    6 - time for another beer or beverage of your choice
    7 - add some oil to 1 pan and fry the potatoes
    8 - when they are close to being done, add oil to the other pans and fry the fish
    9 - add rye bread and butter (don't need tartar sauce)
    10 - eat like a pig

That is the recipe for the best fish fry known to man!

I fry fish I catch at home the same way. Haven't cooked fish in the house for years.

Turtle-Flambeau Flowage, Butternut,Wisconsin

Other Andy, those are all great suggestions as well. A couple more for Fish Fry are The Hideaway and The Cranberry Inn (f/k/a Club 51), along with pizza at Dear Lodge. Justlen said on a different thread that he and his family are staying at Fort Flambeau and retracing some old family haunts and traditions. I think a full circle TFF food tasting tour would be a great idea!

Maybe it was only seasonal or a winter vacation, but two weeks ago the reopened Frontier looked like it was reclosed...

Default fish fry

#1 = Midway. Also #1 for their burger plates. Good people that will earn your business.

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I think it has to be the Midway,as it was always a stop after checking out the big fish contest at Scully's.

Blue & Other Andy,

The Frontier Inn in Springstead closed up business about a month ago - there is a "For Sale" sign out front now.

Ditto on the Round-Up and Springstead Lake Lodge for fish fry spots closer to the Springstead side of the TFF.

Tom502

If you care to venture a ways south, the Broken Oar located on Hwy 51 in Manitowish Waters, has really good Bluegills. A smidge farther south, the Blue Bayou is also excellent, but you might need CPR when the bill comes.
    George

If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.

Can't beat the Oar when they have live music on a warm Saturday night - with a tiki bar AND outdoor air hockey, what more could you want???

DonH: Right on! You are in the northwoods and want a walleye dinner.
    Won't taste any better than straight out of the flowage.
    Only a month to go
    chris

Agree with all recommendations except springstead lake lodge 3 out of 4of us got sicker than dogs after eating there fish fry.

Default Fish

For the longest time, I wouldn't eat fish or Prime Rib at restaurants in the northwoods. Burgers only.

I love the walleye at The Gateway. I also love their Prime Rib.

Lots of other good stuff, too.

Two recommendations as fresh caught and prepared fish are definitely my favorite. TFF perch, crappie, and walleye make a good meal. But to add some new recipes I to test your palet I will offer two: Use buffalo wing sauce in your breading, cut the filets smaller, and you get some awesome buffalo fried fish. The other is blackening. Get some redfish magic blackening seasoning. Heat a skillet real hot over the fire and after rolling the fish around in the seasoning sear it on the skillet for 1-2 minutes per side. Can't beat either one, promise.