Week 4
Warm water temps (64) have forced our muskies into the spawning ritual, river fish below Bangor seemed to have mostly spawned. This week was much slower than others this month for guides, clients and guest of Mountain Muskie Lodge, they boated a total of 41 muskies up to 47 inches bring our total well over 200 muskies for the month, although we didn’t catch a lot over 40 inches the amount of fish seen or lost where much greater than any week so far this year. Crane baits and that style crankbait ruled for a few days taking a big fish of (44.5) in Charlie Thompson’s boat. Charlie led the week with fish in his boat every day but one. The trolling bite was probably as slow as it has been all month but there were windows that produced a group of fish. During the later part of the week fish moved heavily on pull baits like the Hawg Teaser, Sledge and Suick and also moved well on glide baits like the Phantom and Twisted Sucker. Rattlebaits still took a good amount of fish as I noticed fewer and fewer guys like myself giving up on them, however big fish for the week went to my client Jeff Boggs of western Ky taken on a Fat Belly Rattler one of two big fish taken on that bait this week. When using this bait use a fast retrieve reel, crank fast with rod tip pointed at bait, this bait will also glide well with slight rod taps on a fast tipped rod but the most productive way is to smoke it in. Weeds are starting to hold fish so look for these fish over the next few weeks to invade them. Good Luck……….