State law says Mendota should be @ 849.6' ASAP after March 1st to allow northern spawning. Between April 1st & May 15th at least one of the taintor gates @ Tenney Locks must be open 3.4" for Walleye and other spawning fish. In addition, in the "interest of public rights..." the minimum level for Mendota should be 849.6' between the first spring runoff after March 1st and Oct 30th. Between 11/29/11 & 02/28/12 the county dropped Mendotas level 14.04" (from 849.62' to 848.45'). Between 02/28/12 and 03/24/12 they raised Mendota 10.4" (from 848.45' to 849.32'). As of today (03/25/12) Mendota is still 3.36" lower than the state law requires. The county dropped Monona 12.14" between 12/22/11 & 02/28/12 and have raised it just under an half inch between 02/28/12 and today. As of today there's a 61.9" difference between Mendota & Monona (during "normal" conditions there should be 58.8" difference). So there's another violation of state law. We haven't hit April 1st yet so the taintor gate law isn't in effect yet. For public safety concerns I don't know what effect it has on the ice to drop the water level 14". I would expect the ice will stay in contact with the surface of the water, so the ice will drop down, creating more cracks and weak spots???? Not a scientist so I can't say for sure, only what seems logical.

The county's admitted goal was to hit the minimum winter water level of 848.2' (Mendota, between Nov 1st & the first spring runoff after March 1st), which they thankfully never got down to.

As I readily admit to, being the person in charge of our lakes water levels is a thankless job, very complex when you have to try and satisfy all the chefs in the kitchen. But the directors admitted logic is to go as low as possible, which logically means he expects to be able to make up the difference this time of the year through snow/ice melting and rain. It's a gamble which isn't necessary, and one they continually lose. For some reason the state doesn't fine them for how they manage OUR resources. It's time for the county to pay for willingly violating state law. Either that or they establish a fund where they pay for stocking fish and repair damage to our boats because of too low of water levels. Obviously that isn't going to happen. I don't think complaining to the county is going to make any difference at all. People need to bring up their concerns with the DNR itself if they're the ones who would be issuing any fines for failure to comply with state statutes. If they're not the correct agency to contact they will be able to advise who is.