www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Predictions for the Muskies -2012

Default Predictions for the Muskies -2012

Let's hear it guys. What are your predictions/thoughts/wishes for the upcoming Musky Season on Eagle Lake?

1.)I hope the coming early ice out doesn't somehow screw up the fish & the spawn.

2.)Hope my buddy Mike gets his chance at a big girl. He's ready, and it's well deserved now, especially after he risked his arm hand landing my 53" last year (after blowing the net job :-) ).

3.)Chuckie is also due. It's been since 2008. He had a shot at a Jumbo in 2009, but lost the hand to hand combat. Time to get another streak of 50's going...

4.)For myself, I'd like to continue learning the water. Not just "spots", but more of reacting to the conditions each and every day. Knowing when to go where. That will help put more fish in the boat. It's tough with so much good water, but gotta take it to the next level. I have an insatiable thirst to learn this water, cause some day I will be fishing the whole season up there. Hopefully sooner rather than later. ;-)

Looking forward to seing everybody up there.

Dan

when it comes to muskys from my past expereince i think indicators though early are very good and positive.
    one is past history,our best big fish years over the past 20 here have been a bit lower than normal water levels and early ice out and or at least nice steady warm may/june. water temps warm up nice and steady so spawning is not to fast or to slow or doesn't happen,the big lake warms up quicker early and is at optimum activity temps,the fish recover quickly from spawning and are feeding which seems to creat a trend for the season,weed growth gets started early,and with a little of the shoreline exposed the wave action brings a bit of sediment into the water for a hint more of color. i'm sure there's more factors but these are a few i've noticed.
    no matter where i've been stationed typically the toughest musky seasons have always been started by later than normal springs and/or with a cold may and june and they are typically/usually acompanied with higher water and prolonged colder than normal water temps. this results in a lot of suspended and scattered hard to pattern fish.
    obviously we will have to see what the next month(s) bring and i'd prefer to see a more normal ice out time just because it's one natures time clocks then the nice warm may/june but it's a start.
    also another indicator is the better than avg bites being already being expereinced down south in indiana and kentucky,etc. some of that on some waters especially the resevoirs is as much to do with stable clearer water because of no heavy spring rains but still they have had the same warmer than normal winter and way ahead of normal spring so none the less it is good news as the last couple have been tough starts and generally seemed to forcast a general trend for later further north.
    anyway i'm saying i'm very optimistic and looking forward to my first cast of the season and an overall good one.
    looking forward to sharing it with you all,
    herbie
    Andy Myers Lodge
    Steve Herbeck

Web Site: http://www.andymyerslodge.com

Anybody who has fished with me knows that I suffer from a bad case of big-fish-disease, so I have to fess up to the fact that I hope to have multiple shots at big fish, including some real beasts. Even more than that, I hope brother Tom catches a big one, because he has paid his dues. But most of all, given all the uncertainties of health, finances, travel, weather and everything else that has to come together for any of us to be out fishing, I hope to have great days out on a healthy Eagle Lake and great evenings of camaraderie at AML.
    Bill