Well, I can't guarantee that it will not cause issues under those circumstances. In terms of the flyrod, I've only had a handful of fish that I've had shots at with boatside techniques. The one that I completely screwed up was a low to mid-40's fish that I got soo fired up about that I accidentally pulled the line so far through the eyes that the wire/bite tippet was through the eye also. Needless to say, the knot that I tie there is not made to slide through the guides. And let me tell you, it would not budge, even with the fish pulling me and the rod underneath the boat! LOL I did believe that the rod was gonna break while it was being pulled against the side of the boat, but the hook came loose before that happened.

For my knot( I only have the flyline/mono connection going through the guides), as long as I can get them through the guides just in the process of my casting, I feel secure that they should not give me an issue with a fish on. But you know as well as I that these fish will always find a way to expose whatever weakness may be available. I've just kind of copied some of the "big name" fly guys out there and tweaked a few things for my setup. I'll stick with it for now until I find a reason to make a change.