I know that the new rules will officially be posted at the end of this month, but I thought I'd stir the waters just a bit during the winter doldrums while the ice is beginning to melt. Here's what the current rules say, and I doubt that they'll be re-written:

“When fishing open water, anglers must remain within 100 yards of their line(s).
Failure to immediately respond to a line upon indication of a bite will be sufficient
evidence that the line is unattended.”

I take this to mean that I can toss out a line and affix my pole to the end of the boat pier. Then, I can mosey back into the shade, grab a soft chair and a Kugel, and watch the world go by - - as long as I'm within 100 yards of my pole. Then, I'll “immediately” move out to reel-in the catch when a cooperating fish comes along. (By “immediately” I mean at a pace commensurate with my advanced age, of course.)

I realize that most folks probably attach this caveat to ice-fishing and tip-ups. But, I don't see anything that says it can't also apply to summer fishing in “open water” adjacent to the boat pier. Has anybody had a run-in with the DNR while utilizing this particular method of trying to entice a bite?