It’s ‘March Madness’ time again! While usually uttered in reference to basketball, at present it can also be used to refer to local ice-fishing opportunities. The warmer temperatures and longer days have seen a definite increase in fish activity. The best news – although the bite has steadily been picking up, given the impending forecast, the fishing should only continue to get cranked up!

Our resident bluegills and crappies, inhabiting shallower bays or backwater areas containing wood and/or green weeds, have been feeding more aggressively of late. We’ve typically been finding our fish in water depths of 4-6 feet. Small offerings such as Northland Tackle’s ‘Mud Bug’ and ‘Gill-Getter’ jigs in bright or metallic patterns tipped with waxies have been producing fish for us on a regular basis; in addition, tip-downs and slip bobber rigs baited with small minnows have been working well for crappies. A recommendation – as is oft the case during late ice, pack light and be willing to remain mobile in order to stay on schools of active fish.

One of the many benefits of fishing the Wisconsin River system is that while most of the lakes in Wisconsin have now closed to walleye and northern pike fishing, the season remains open on the river and her flowages. If you’re looking to catch walleyes through the ice, both Lakes Wausau and DuBay are offering some excellent angling opportunities right now.

A medium action St. Croix Premier or Legend ice rod is the perfect tool for working jigging lures such Jigging Rapala’s this time of year. As is often the case, fire tiger, orange/chartreuse combinations, and perch patterns, tipped with a minnow head, have been working best. For the avid tip-up fisherman, the bite continues to be best during the low-light periods of morning and evening with both golden shiners and sucker minnows being productive offerings.

In our area, March and April make for exciting northern pike fishing, with true trophy specimens moving shallow and becoming accessible for “slime time” with hard water anglers. We have already found that the warmer temperatures of late have some of the larger pike beginning to move, and anglers looking to get in on the action need to be geared up properly.

Tip-ups like the Frabill Pro-Thermal are the best option for these toothy trophies through the ice, and account for numbers of big ol’ gators for my clients and me each late-ice season. Large golden shiners, my personal favorite for giant ‘grinners’, have been working very well the past few days. I utilize a large single Mustad treble hook for medium to large golden shiners; however, for jumbo goldens or medium to large sucker minnows, be sure to incorporate a quickset rig to ensure good hook-ups and minimize damage to fish.

While I’m sure winter has a surprise or two for us before finally releasing her icy grasp on North-Central Wisconsin, enjoy the madness of March! I’ll see you on the water…

Tight lines,