www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Tuning rattlebaits

Default Tuning rattlebaits

This is a question for Tony and anyone that uses rattlebaits in the spring. How do you tune them when they are running to the left or right and not straight back to you? We were using rattlebaits yesterday and found that a few of them needed tuning. We bent the line connecting eye the way we wanted the bait to run with some results but couldn't get them perfect. Does anyone have any suggestions on rattlebait tuning?

I emailed a rattlebait maker (will not use their name), and they said they have never heard of having to tune a rattlebait. Could I be burning these in too fast that they are not tracking true? Anyone have any suggestions on these things? I am using a rattlebait leader from Stealth tackle, 50lb stealth braid, and a revo toro 50 hs. I would imagine that some of you southern fisherman will have had some experience with these things. Do you typically burn them in as fast as you can or just a moderate retrieve? Thanks for any help.

Try tying your line directly to a 6-8" wire & see if your rattlebait doesn't straighten out. Sometimes the large snaps, swivels, or even flouro leaders themselves will steer a lipless lure.
    Either way, the fish won't really mind if these baits are running on their side a little bit. Dying shad don't often run straight either.