Webster’s defines ‘cabin fever’ as, “Extreme irritability and restlessness from living in isolation or a confined indoor area for a prolonged time.” It’s an inevitable condition for those residing in Wisconsin, especially for avid anglers. While ice-fishing aids in stifling some of the symptoms of cabin fever, there just is nothing quite like being in a boat – especially when basking in sunlight and enjoying the warmer temperatures of a Midwestern springtime day! I recently had a long conversation with my good friend and Great Lakes guide Captain Brett Jolly. Captain Brett and I spent a good deal of the morning discussing the impending open water opportunities awaiting us in the near future, sure “cures” for cabin fever.

For starters, there is the annual rite of spring here in God’s country, fishing the yearly walleye run. Whereas Captain Jolly probes the waters of the Fox River out into Green Bay, I for the most part spend my time for marble-eyes plying the depths of the Wisconsin River and her flowages. The equipment is relatively simple: a collection of VMC Hammerhead jigheads for livebait fishing and Neon Moon Eye jigheads for using with plastic trailers, Trigger X Paddle Tail Minnows and Swimming Grubs, and an assortment crankbaits such as Rapala Clackin’ Raps, Berkley Flicker Shads, and Storm Thundersticks. Whether you’re fishing the Fox River/Green Bay or Wisconsin River for spring walleyes, anglers looking to maximize early season success need to be able to adapt; this may mean vertical jigging livebait one day only to be casting jigs and plastics or trolling crankbaits the next to stay on active fish.

Another excellent angling opportunity that arises in early spring is the brown trout bite on Lake Michigan. Accessible to both shore anglers and boaters alike, large numbers of browns are readily available to those looking for action and excitement on the big water. Lake Michigan is home to an arguably world-class fishery when it comes to brown trout not only in numbers, but with the existence of true trophy caliber fish present. Captain Jolly targets the resident brown trout population by trolling many of the same crankbaits he does when walleye fishing. The fish average, according to Captain Brett, from 3#-10# although as noted above, much larger fish are present and caught with regularity. With triples, even quadruples possible when the bite is really on, this is some of the hottest fishing action of the spring.

Long before the ice dissipates from local water, the ‘last hurrah’ of ice fishing will have been completed. While several species of fish offer extensive action during this time frame, perhaps none provide more heart-pounding excitement than northern pike. Big gators move shallow during the late winter/early spring period, looking to spawn as the ice breaks up. Targeting these finned beasts in backwaters, bays, and near creek mouths is best done through the use of tip-ups. I personally prefer the Frabill Pro-Thermal for shallow water pike fishing. For starters, it’s round shape does not allow light back down the hole, resulting in a more natural presentation; in addition, the bait clip aids in presenting ‘false flags’ when using larger more active bait. Lakes DuBay and Wausau are both home to an oft overlooked pike fishery, including specimens surpassing the forty inch mark.

Regardless of how you spend your spring, be safe on the water and remember to support respectful and responsible practices with our fishery. I’ll see you on the water…

Tight lines,