www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Jet motor for 14ft Jon Boat

Default Jet motor for 14ft Jon Boat

What might you guys recommend as a Jet setup for a smaller jon boat? Also, a couple of the waters I fish have a 20hp restriction. Is there some Jet combo that could allow me to still hit those waters and be able to handle river currents such as the West Branch of Susky and Juniata River? Just curious as I'm dying to find a decent way of gettin up some of these smaller rivers and still having a boat with an outboard and trolling motor. Thanks guys.

Jay

Jay, I was wondering how long it be before you'd be ready to jet your rig............I sent you a email with some info to think about.

I am sure Frank will mention the 25/20 jet option to you but just in case.............

The HP rating plate on your boat only accounts for the actual HP at the impeller which is 20 so you will be legal on PA waters with a 20hp restriction.

If you want to convert your existing outboard to a jet, there is 1 company in the US that has the patent on the jet pumps located in California. I think they call themselves Specialty Marine Company. Several years ago, the unit price was around 1500.00. If you are planning on doing a conversion, now is the time cuz they get backlogged with orders and sometimes require a 6 month waiting period during the summer months.

Here is the link to the company in Cali:

http://www.outboardjets.com/index.php

Good Luck!
    Allegheny Guide Service
    Red Childress

E-mail - RedChildress@gmail.com
    Web Site: http://www.alleghenyguideservice.com

Yeah, I started considering it a bit last season since I was finding myself in some questionable areas with a standard prop.

My boat only has a 15hp on it right now and it sounds like I'd need to go up to at least a 20 to be able to get on plane fast enough to get the benefits of the jet. Is that correct? Theres really only one lake that I fish somewhat regularly that has the 20hp limit. The others are unlimited and of course the rivers are the same. I'm tempted to bite the bullet and forget the 20hp waters for a while and focus on the others. I can always just bug my brother to bring his boat when I want to hit that lake anyhow. LOL

Frank,

Do you have the 25/20 on yours? I couldn't remember what setup you had. If so, did you have any issues when you had 2 guys in your boat? I'll read up on it and try to figure out my best options.

Thanks for the info guys, greatly appreciated.

Jay

Jay,
    I sent you a email to the personal email I have for you. Didn't you get it?

Yes, I'm on a 25/20. You can plane with 2 guys but it's pretty slow, like 10MPH up river, that is off a GPS hand held unit my buddy had one day. You can't jet your motor, you need at least a 20 and with mine being boarderline I wouldn't even try a 20. I would find a 30 and buy a jet bowl for it and you'll be like 25 at the pump slam some 20 stickers on it and call it a day! They don't make a factory 30 jetted, it's either 25 or 40, or build your own combo.
    You'll be able to plane good with 2 guys and be happy with it. I love my boat setup, I would like to be able to go faster. When I can $$$$$ I'm going to get a 40/30 and just run it. I can't see me upgrading to a 30 and hoping it's enough to do what I want being only 5 more hp than I have already.

I do see your concern with the 20 hp lakes.
    When it was 9.9 limit, everyone run 20 with 9.9 stickers, I think you could get aways with a 30 jetted with 20 hp stickers on it since really it is just under 25 hp at the pump.
    The 25/20 combo is easier to find and would be totally legal???? Up to you I guess.
    Does that help? Any more questions feel free, I hate to see you where I'm at, wanting more hp and being lock into what you have and having to just live with it.

Frank,

I can't get my home e-mails from work, but I'm sure its there. I'll check it out tonight.

I'll have to do some "soul searching" to try and figure out what might be the best setup for me. The one nice thing is that there is a boat shop near me that go out of their way to do good by their customers. Since they will be getting my business for repairs/maintenance, maybe I can work somethin out with them to help me throw the 15hp on and off if needed once I got the bigger jet.

I'm not in a big rush for it at this point. I'll probably fish with what I have this year and spend the season lookin for some good deals. Thanks again. I'm sure I'll be givin you a call at some point to get some more details.

The email pretty much says the same that I put on the second reply on here.
    You'll need to change your back transom and raise it up about 4 inches or so and beef it up around that.
    If you decide to go jet you should just sell your motor and run the jet. Switching back and forth would be a pain.
    Jet stuff is hard to find, Craigslist around harrisburg, lancaster, williamsport has some. Cumberland MD and that area has some listing sometimes too. Some on ebay too, not many.
    Just a used motor alone normally sells for the price of a whole boat setup used. You might think about buying a used jetboat complete and move your motor to the other boat and just sell that package?
    Maybe your dealer would take your motor in on trade? If so you'd end up with a factory setup with a 25/20 if they ordered you one. The transom deal still needs worked on.
    All ideas I've run through my head a million times........why don't you buy my 25/20? Sell your motor and would probably be even or even ahead depending on what you get for yours?
    Then I can upgrade.

LOL I'll start breakin things down as to what I might need and figure it out from there. I'll keep you posted