www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Tuning lures

Default Tuning lures

Since the board is so slow...Do many folks tune lures ? Can't say as I do much tuning to a Pacemaker, but I do try to straighten out a bucktail when it lands a fish and gets all bent badly. Usually, it remains kind of bent, but doesn't seem to matter too much. Wire is kind of cool.

Suicks and baits of that type, and I suspect bulldogs and the like; do folks bend the eye much to make them run true ? Any other lure types that require much tuning ?

I've messed around with Pacemakers a bit, but always go back to the orig set up. Tried a cut 7/0 hook shaft from a Cowgirl for the clicker hook... it had a cool thunk, thunk, thunk...but I never raised any on it like that except maybe one strike. Sometimes if they don't run right or seem to tangle, just open the cup of the blade a little...or do that to change the sound.

Suicks I've bent all over the place. I like that lure a lot, but really hate when a good one gets knocked out of tune.

Got a Slammer crank with the thin wire leader attachment that's out of tune from a small fish. I'm kind of fed up with that lure...It didn't run right to start, then got it tuned, caught a fish & now it's messed up and won't troll again-it keeps popping up sideways on the surface. Funny thing is, it doesn't seem to track to the side. For a plastic lure, it's pretty finicky. My other one runs fine.

I try not to do too much "improving" unless the lure totally sucks and has never had action.

I tune most every bait from time to time. Suicks almost always need tuning right off the bat. Pacemakers I tune according to the wind to make it pop more of less(less in the wind and more when it's calm). Creepers I mess with a lot. Bucktails I bend in front of the blade if they spin a lot. Gliders are the one bait I don't do much with.
    Ty Sennett Muskie Fishing Guide Service
    & Sennett Musky Tackle Company
    8914 N. Conner Lane
    Hayward, WI 54843
    Land Phone: 715-462-9403
    Cell Phone: 612-839-1227
    Web Site: http://www.tysennett.com