www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Ice conditions

Default Ice conditions

Anyone have an ice report for the days river access? Ice thickness would be nice to know. Will arrive wednesday, wondering if we have to bring a 4wheeler to pull shack out. Thank You.

I stopped by Days River South today to look at the big pressure ridge just offshore. I could see some open water in the actual gap along the ridge. I drove my truck up to the bad spot but would not try to cross it. Someone put a heavy duty pallet there, and I think an ATV would be OK, but not a truck. I could see trucks out on the ice south of the pressure ridge that must have come in from the other side of the lake. This is a good year to use caution on the upper bay. I'd say bring the quad or snowmobile. The places we drove the truck on were about a foot to fourteen inches thick, maybe a little more.

Raywriter, we r coming over in two weeks. We have an 8x12 shack on wheels. Do u think we could get over that pressure crack using atvs and pulling our shack? Any suggestions would b great.

Ragboy

Hard to say without knowing the weight. Trucks are driving on both sides of the pressure ridge I'm talking about, but there are other ridges within sight. There are more bad spots this year than usual. Sounds like your shack would be able to cross - especially since you can put some distance between it and the ATV by using a rope. Remember that we are currently experiencing some melting with higher than normal temperatures. That means go slow, be careful, and ask others where they are crossing and what spots they think might be bad.

Thank you for the info! We will plan on bringing our atvs and if we don't need them- oh well. Better safe than sorry.