www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Place to stay

Default Place to stay

Hi all,

I'm looking for a cabin / cottage to rent for a weekend or week this summer along the river. I'm not having any luck finding anything online and was hoping someone could help. I'm looking for something between Tionesta and Irvine. I was interested in the wildwood cabins in Tidioute and know they used to rent those cabins, but can't find a number or website for them. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
    Emason

It looks like the Wildwood Cabins have been inactive for a few years since the restaurant closed. You may have some luck browsing this site:

http://wcvb.net/visit.html#accom
    Allegheny Guide Service
    Red Childress

E-mail - RedChildress@gmail.com
    Web Site: http://www.alleghenyguideservice.com

I've rented a cabin in West Hickory right on the river a few times. It's a little pricey but very nice. 3 good bedrooms and 2 small ones in the basement. I can give you the owner's email if you want. I'm having trouble logging in here so just email me at lowbidder@live.com if you want that info.

Mike

Sooooooo...I found a place to stay in West Hickory. Now I'm looking for some help on the river.

I know there is deeper water in-between, but what are the chances I could run a prop north toward Tidioute, from West Hickory?

Without knowing what the river will be like at that time, how much will the water level affect me running a prop?

Lastly, if I made it up to Tidioute from West Hickory, what are the chances of me floating back down, without incident?

Any help is much appreciated.

Bryan

Default prop

If you are running a prob the odds are you will have to trailer your boat to different areas of the river. You can fish a good bit in the tidioute hole however you can only go so far unless you want to get out of your boat and pull it up thru the shallows. And as far as running from west hickory prob not going to happen either, the west hickory pool is also very shallow, one deep hole north of the bridge but thats even tricky to get to.

Depending on what boat you have you could setup drift/float trips and travel through that was as long as you have another form of transportation. Without a jet you really can't do much. The Tionesta hole you could fish, large hole with a launch in it.

"So you're telling me there's a chance?" haha

Thank you for the info. I have a 15' tri-hull with a 25hp outboard and bow mount trolling motor. The boat has a 20" transom and the motor shaft is 17 1/2" so I can get around in shallower water, but would probably be nervous in 2' or less. I have a canoe I can use, but hate fishing out of it...it's much more comfortable to use the boat.

Decisions, decisions...

If you check the outflow numbers before your trip, it might save you some sweat and tears dragging/pushing your boat off the shoals. You will likely need an outflow of 4500cfs or so to drive through some of those spots down there to give you a 2ft. clearance depth. Then there are the boogers (rocks) that are not visible but can eat a lower unit very easily.
    Allegheny Guide Service
    Red Childress

Thanks for the info Red.

Assuming an outflow of 4500, would I have any problems launching at Tidioute and drifting down to West Hickory using only the trolling motor? I will have transportation back. I'd hate to booger up my lower unit. If I'm not lucky enough to have an outflow of 4500, I'll settle for the canoe and maybe bust out the old waders...

Thanks again,

Bryan

I am afraid to say but you should be ok UNLESS you are anything like me (risk taker), then I take the 5th.

If you get into areas that look like you can fire up the prop, do not get on plane unless you know for certain the water is deep. I am not very familiar with that stretch and you could have some sub-surface obstacles that could cause problems.
    Allegheny Guide Service
    Red Childress