www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: starting point

Default starting point

A couple buddies and I are coming up this weekend for short weekend. We have very limited time. We will arrive Late Saturday morning and we figure on perch fishing. We are thinking shallow 12 FOW, North of kipling launch. If things are slow (as they normally are for us). we will move around. Hows the perch fishing been? Deep /shallow? Anyone care to give up some general areas for targeting Walleyes? Are Whitefish regularly caught in the bay? A mixed bag would be ideal, but with roughly 1 day to fish its tough to search much. We hope to be driving on. Anybody care to give up general areas that are producing? Depths?

Default perch

from what ive been hearing, Kates Bay on Big Bay de Noc is pretty good right now for perch.

Default Little help

Can not really help on where to fish as I do not fish perch at all and my walleye spot seems to have dried up over the last week. How ever I would caution you on driving out in a truck as I have not seen hardly anyone if any at all driving yet. It is cold now but it been a wierd year. Then again someone always needs to be first. ( this is determined by the size of his "stones" ) Good luck

I've got to believe that by this weekend (given the cold temps forecast for the next couple of days) that would be drivable ice in the upper bay. But, as you said, duck, I'm not going to be the first to try it out. I will follow tracks out there, though (as long as they don't end in a giant open spot of water ).

Default Following tracks

I would reccommend using common sense when driving on ice. Following the tracks of another truck may only get you wet or dead. This was the case last year as 2 trucks went in off of Butlers Island. One went in because he followed the tracks of someone else who made a bad decision. Please take the time to learn where it is safe and get off the ice early if you have no experience on it.

I am sure maybe by this weekend it may be driveable, as there are a few trucks driving around on the upper bay already, only thing is you wont make it very far. The pressure cracks are bad this year never seen them like this they are piled high, it is very hard even finding a place to cross on the quad! The trucks that are out there are coming off the east side but that is all private! If you do chance it please be carefull!! This is a really weird year for ice as I have seen way to many wheelers taking a drink two just last week!

Quote Originally Posted by icepirate View Post
    I would reccommend using common sense when driving on ice. Following the tracks of another truck may only get you wet or dead. This was the case last year as 2 trucks went in off of Butlers Island. One went in because he followed the tracks of someone else who made a bad decision. Please take the time to learn where it is safe and get off the ice early if you have no experience on it.
    True. Then again, I'd never drive a vehicle around Butler's Island--ever--no matter what kind of tracks there were around it. And also correct about the nasty pressure cracks. You drive off the second yellow gate and you won't get far before you hit that pressure crack.

Thanks for all the advice, If our group is anything its cautious, and sensible. We will not be the first ones out in a truck, and we always plan on making it back (but I guess everyone does) With that said: Does anyone have fishing location advice? Even if you could let me know where you would try if you were going? Do you guys perch fish deep typically or shallow? I understand its fishing, but with limited time available I was just hoping someone could eliminate a bit of the legwork. If I don't bring home a fish fry one of these years my wife will really get suspicious.

YooperTroll,

I have not been able to get out this year but was thinking about heading this weekend, and definately understand that it is always bad when you go around butlers (watched a truck go in a couple years ago). I was just wondering how it was going over the top of butlers and then out ( any other bad pressure cracks heading north to the east side of center or across to the east bank)? I would really appreciate the advice. Also how bad is the crack off the yellow gate, are you able to navigate with a four wheeler safely. Thank you in advance for any info.