www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Don't harvest the big pike....

Default Don't harvest the big pike....

Here's a study showing what happens when the large fish are harvested in an ecosystem. There is a magnifying glass on Cass Lake right which over time will mirrow these results.
    http://www.michapter54.com/pubfolder...verfishing.pdf
    Kevin Cochran's Guide Service
    Kevin Cochran

Web Site: http://www.kevincochranguide.com

So as my dad tells me of the huge northerns in area lakes from the past and there no longer are pike in the class he's talking about in the area lakes and as the spearhouses left to hone in on the few lakes that were decent yet, this article is maybe hitting on why those lakes can't recover and I'll put in a plug for fishing with rod and reel and or ice fishing also overharvesting those larger northerns, once the lake hits rock bottom, it's stuck at rock bottom and it seems especially true of pike as they're not stocked often so they are stocked by stunted males and females spawning first in our creeks, not yanking out a hog pike and stripping it, heck even the DNR knows it would be tough to net any hog pike on most lakes. I remember grandpa(s) talking about the 20-30 pound pike back in their day, then dad the 20 pounders, then I the 10 pounders, then is anyone ever catching a pike over 5 pounds anymore became the question. Heck we were walleye fisherman and didn't keep pike and in those days those hogs just snapped your line with ease, but they couldn't escape a 3 fish any size limit, unlimited until your freezer bulged, then again it was spear all day no one is going to check you anyway, pressure got worse as word spread about what lakes were the hog pike coming from and wallah. Hi there Kevin, I'm thankful to know you and that you care more about our resources than your own self fulfillment. You're a proactive kind of guy looking forward for the better of our fisheries, yet looking back at trends etc. from past mistakes made, take care and no you are not wrong for caring deeply about the status of a fishery, this state needs more people that care about our resources and then are willing to not sit on the truth but tell it like it is. See you this summer!