www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Esox TV shows...

Default Esox TV shows...

Just wanted to go through a rundown of shows that might have some Pike or Muskie action on them over this Winter period. The list I have below are the ones that I'm familiar with. Just curious to see if I'm missin any out there. Feel free to add any that you guys know of. I'd like to see if I have the channels that carry them.

1) Musky Hunter (which I no longer get, damn it!!)
    2) Next Bite
    3) In-Fisherman
    4) New Flyfisher (rarely)
    5) Wild on the Fly (rarely)
    6) Catch ya in the Bluegrass (just found this one last weekend. They fished Cave Run I believe. Not sure how much is Esox though)
    7) Joe Bucher Outdoors

I believe thats all I know of in my area. Any little bit may help those of us who might not get the chance to get back out until the Spring

Hunt for Big Fish is another show with some musky action on it. Dahlberg is my absolute favorite multi-species guy and last week's show (re-run) had him on Melton Hill Reservoir (TN) chasing muskies and spreading the word about the mortality issues of single-hook rigging live trout that many practice down there.

I watch it on Dish channel 394 (WFN).
    Allegheny Guide Service
    Red Childress

E-mail - RedChildress@gmail.com
    Web Site: http://www.alleghenyguideservice.com

Has anyone had a chance to see the Hunt for Big Fish episode when he is musky fishing in Minnesota yet?

Dahlberg can figure out ways to catch fish even when the bite is slow.
    Allegheny Guide Service
    Red Childress

When he's fishing with Hamernick?

Yes.......and using the Tranx reel.
    Allegheny Guide Service
    Red Childress

It was interesting to see a guy (Hamernick) who had been consistent with one pattern (burning tails) face adverse conditions and get shown up by the guy in the back of the boat fishing slower and deeper. You got to see how Larry connected the dots... Follows on the slower Double Wubble, then switched to and connected on the glider and rubber bait.

In turn, it was even more interesting that after the one "off" day, Hamernick was right back to the same thing the next day, and the results showed you why it's something stick with!

Larry is an awesome guy, got to meet him in Chicago this year. That's one person I'd love to share a boat with.

Last night I watched "Catch ya in the Bluegrass" Musky fishing on Lake of the Woods. filmed in July, in a weeks time they caught over 90 Muskys. during the 1/2 hour show they boated about 8 fish 7 being over 40. In the one day of filming they had over 20 follows. What was really fun to watch, is how the did slow eights at the boat, and you could see the fish following the bait as they were doing this. However none did hit there 8's. All in all it was fun to watch.

Red,

The last episode of The Next Bite had them doing some Pike fishing. They showed them catchin a few on the fly also. What was cool about it was that they showed the underwater strike on a few of them. Really neat to see, especially since most of the fish turned after attacking the fly. I still think that I need to be even more patient before I set the hook on these things. I'm gonna try a few experiments this year to see if I can increase my hook up ratio.

I watched it for the second time the other day with my daughters and they said they both want to go "there" to catch those big pike......hmmmm. Sounds like a road trip to me!
    Allegheny Guide Service
    Red Childress

LOL Now that would be one heck of a cool roadtrip. The fact that even his Dad was catchin pike on the flyrod would lead me to believe that you could have the whole family catchin em on flies after they got tired of pullin them in on conventional gear.

BTW, I've been chattin (e-mail) a little with Brad Bohen about gettin some flies from him. The flies those dudes tie look incredible. They ain't cheap by any means but I figure I can at least use them as models for when/if I finally breakdown and get back into tying myself too. He has one that he calls the Bohen 747. I can't wait to try and cast that beast!! LOL

You missed Keyes Outdoors. They have all the PMTT tournaments. Catch ya in the Bluegrass is Crash Mullins and is mostly musky.

Jay,

I just got a whole load of flies in mail from a client of mine (from the Clearfield area) and they look super. Looks like I will have to test drive them in the yard this weekend just to see how they cast. I have not tried casting anything as big as these so I am anxious to see what happens.
    Allegheny Guide Service
    Red Childress

Red,

LOL Thats awesome!! See that, its good to have some connections.

Did you guys see the one recent Catch ya in the Bluegrass episode when they were on LOTWs? Excellent program... Some real hogs were caught. The most enjoyable part was when the one dude (guess it was crash, havent watched the show much) stole that one huge fish from his son with a lil bass flip technique. Awesome footage.

If you guys havent seen it yet, there is a pike flyfishing documentary called "A Backyard In Nowhere"... It is by far the best fishing dvds/videos ive seen. Red, you particularity would enjoy it.

Heres the trailer:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AubLHZCY33c

Make sure you put the HD on

Oh man, that video looks fantastic. Just watchin the trailer has me all fired up to get out!! I will definitely be lookin into gettin a hold of that one!