www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Misc. Stuff for Sale

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Cool Rods

Pete,
    I would be interested in the Slingblade rod... I asume that it is a split grip? That is the top of line St. Croix is that right? As long as I have you.... What would be your recommendation of a reel to pair that with? I have seen some marketing for the new Shimano Tran-X? Have not tired it yet... Before shelling out ~ $500 thouht I would check with a pro... Was thinking the high speed version... What say you? Any reason for parting with the slingblade?

The Slingblade I have is a full grip. Yes, the Slingblade is the St. Croix Legend Tournament series and is the top of the line in their musky rods.

As for reels, that's a real toss-up. If you plan on dedicating one rod/reel combo for burning big blade bucktails (Cowgirls and the other variations), the Tranx can be a good choice. If you haven't held one in your hand, be advised that it is large and heavy. The thing is built like a tank as near as I can tell and Shimano typically puts out good quality stuff. They make the reel in two different gear configurations. The high gear reel will bring in 40" of line per handle crank and the low gear will do 30". I think the low gear model is more practical. It's plenty fast and won't wear you down as fast. If you're a guy who likes one reel to do just about everything from cranks, topwaters, jerks, blades, etc. I'd consider the Shimano Calcutta series and if the price tag on the Tranx isn't scaring you off get the Calcutta TE ($365.00 range) and there's no looking back. Another reel that is an excellent value is the St. Croix Avid. It's the same guts as the Daiwa Luna and at a lower price.

Pete Stoltman Regular Fishin' Regular Guys
    www.rfrgoutdoors.com
    rfrgoutdoors2@gmail.com
    (715) 614-4142