www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Vilas County Current Ice Conditions

Default Vilas County Current Ice Conditions

Cold nights have helped firm up conditions somewhat. Anglers around the area are reporting 2-4 inches of good solid ice in shallow water, bays, and small lakes. Be very cautious of any snow covered ice that may only be an inch or two thick. Likewise avoid any current areas or areas known to have springs. Extreme caution is still advised. Go slow and use all safety precautions. Anglers who have been getting out have had luck with pike during the daytime and walleye have been decent in the evening. Medium shiners under tip-ups doing the most work for both species.

Pete Stoltman Regular Fishin' Regular Guys
    www.rfrgoutdoors.com
    rfrgoutdoors2@gmail.com
    (715) 614-4142

"Anglers who have been getting out have had luck with pike during the daytime" ... as in noon? Noon is the best bite? What does Muskie Matt think about that?!

Good advice Pete.

I was out on a vilas county lake last weekend. It was a small shallow lake and had 3" of solid ice out about 100 yards. With the below zero forecast, I expect a little bit more ice tommorow. This time of year always use a spud bar on every step to test the ice. This might sound like a pain, but beats falling in. After you determine the area you are fishing is safe, it is much more fun. Last week I even had a life jacket on and spikes in my pockets. Safety first. I caught a lot of Walleyes on medium shinners on the tip ups and jigging with a spoon with a minnow head. Always think safety first and do not fish alone. I refuse to stay home and wait for thick ice. Rather I learned how to cope with first ice conditions. This time of year is not the time to run and gun. Determine a safe area and stay put. You'll still catch Walleyes. On tip is to fish the same shore related stucture you fished last fall. Good luck fishing everyone and be safe.

Walleyemaxx
    Tom Christianson
    Professional Fishing Guide

Author The Walleyemaxx Systemhttp://www.walleyemaxx.com/pages/the...ystem-book.php.
    Web Site: http://www.walleyemaxx.com/
    E-Mail: walleyemaxx@yahoo.com
    Cell Phone: 715-617-0894
    Land line 715-945-2138-Radisson
    Tackle manufacture "American Traditions Fishing Tackle CO.LLC.www.americantraditionsfishingtackle.com.

Couldn't agree with you more Tom. Good advice and tips. Got a call from the son of one of my fellow employees around 5:00 last evening that he had a good solid 5" of ice on the north shore of Big Arb. No fish report though.

Brett, not sure what Matt thinks about that. Haven't talked to him in the last couple days. Seems like most of the guys I've talked to have been catching their pike late afternoon. Getting set up for the evening walleye thing and icing a few water goats before dark.

www.rfrgoutdoors.com
    rfrgoutdoors2@gmail.com
    (715) 614-4142

Warm conditions the last couple days has been a good news/bad news deal. First the good news is that we got rid of most of that snow cover. Bad news is that some of the ice conditions have deteriorated a bit. Ice thickness around the county has been anywhere from 2-5 inches. Be careful out there, we've had a couple reports of 4 wheelers making the visit to Davey Jones locker. Not good.

www.rfrgoutdoors.com
    rfrgoutdoors2@gmail.com
    (715) 614-4142

Cold nights lately and not much snow have helped conditions greatly. Now averaging about 6 inches with reports of anywhere from 4-8. Crappies and bluegills still doing well. Walleye have been fair to good. Pike pretty active but mostly small ones.

www.rfrgoutdoors.com
    rfrgoutdoors2@gmail.com
    (715) 614-4142