www.lakegenevacannery.com

View Poll Results: Should Musky Season dates be changed?

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • Extend the season until December 31

4 33.33%
  • Open season along with regular gamefish in the spring

0 0%
  • Open with gamefish but catch and release only until last Saturday of May

6 50.00%
  • Leave the season as it is.

2 16.67%

Thread: Musky Season poll. Voice your thoughts

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

My "two cents" from afar... When the regular gamefish season begins, guys are out fishing; so it only makes sense they'd like the opportunity to chase the "mother of all north american gamefish". In the fall there is one other thing the typical RFRG-type of guy will be doing... Hunting! Archery season for deer, followed by the gun season, followed by the muzzleloader season, not to mention all of the other animals that are in season at that time of year. I think a lot of guys put fishing on the "back-burner" with the opening of the hunting seasons (as the hunting season is much shorter than the Muskie season).

You make an excellent point Jeremy. The fellow who brought up the proposal thought that extending the season in the fall would help the economy. Frankly, better hunting would improve the economy more at that time of the year. That's a whole other can of worms that I'd prefer not to get into with this topic.

Pete Stoltman Regular Fishin' Regular Guys
    www.rfrgoutdoors.com
    rfrgoutdoors2@gmail.com
    (715) 614-4142

I had an interesting chat with one of the research guys from Escanaba Lake on this topic yesterday. His basic take was that opening earlier wouldn't really hurt the fishery and as most of us have observed spawning fish aren't all that interested in chasing lures anyhow. He did like the addition of making it c&r during an early season though.

Pete Stoltman Regular Fishin' Regular Guys
    www.rfrgoutdoors.com
    rfrgoutdoors2@gmail.com
    (715) 614-4142