It may not quite look like the winter just yet, but as residents of Wisconsin, we know better – it’s only a matter of time. While it saddens me to know that angling opportunities from my boat are gone, at least for the next couple of months, I also look forward to the ice-fishing season – especially the first-ice bite! As with preparations before open water being critical to angler success, so it is with being prepared before heading out on to the ice.

The ice auger is one of the most important tools an ice-fisherman has; without it, there’s no fishing going to be done. Begin the hard-water season by checking the blades on your Jiffy ice auger and/or spud to ensure they are sharp; if they are not, have them sharpened or replace them. Next, change the spark plug (if you have a power auger). I do this each and every season and make sure to have an extra along with me just in case. Finally, fill with fresh gasoline and run it briefly to make sure it works properly; it is always better to identify and fix any problems prior to dragging all your gear out onto the lake.

Fresh line is always a “must” when preparing for a fishing season and ice-fishing is no different. At the beginning of each winter I re-spool each and every one of my Frabill jigging outfits with fresh Sufix Performance Ice Braid, Performance Ice Fuse, or Ice Magic, depending on what I plan on using that particular outfit for. When re-spooling, it is imperative to avoid line twist and not to over-fill any of your reels. It’s always a good idea to check the line guides for any nicks or chips as these will cause line to fray and break – usually at the most inopportune moments. Also, be sure to have your reels mounted securely in a position that balances well on the rod.

Once your jigging outfits are ready to go, it’s time to make sure your tip-ups are as well. I use Frabill Pro-Thermal tip-ups almost exclusively, and like my jigging outfits, re-spool my tip-ups as well. For my northern pike sets, I spool each tip-up with Sufix Performance Tip-Up Ice Braid while on my walleye tip-ups I prefer Sufix’s Performance Metered Tip-Up Ice Braid, and opt for a fluorocarbon leader. Depending on your make and model of tip-up, you may need to re-lubricate the spool; if you need to re-lube, consider using one of the specialty cold weather lubricants currently on the market as they offer superior performance in the often harsh winter environment. Lastly, examine the spool and flag to make sure both work smoothly, replacing worn or damaged parts if necessary.

A pre-season inventory of your ice fishing tackle is always a good idea. Most anglers will not have seen their hard water tackle since packing it away last spring. Be sure and check the battery for your Humminbird ice unit to be sure it holds an adequate charge. A spot-check can help determine if acceptable supplies remain in terms of hooks, leader material, sinkers, jigs, spoons, and the like. Nothing is more frustrating than heading out for a day of fishing only to discover you are missing important gear. Along with the tackle, make sure pliers, mouth spreaders, line markers, and such are also in working order and accessible.

Finally, DO NOT head out onto the ice, especially first-ice, without the proper safety gear. Cleats make walking on slippery bare ice much safer and efficient. No angler should venture forth without a coil of good rope and ice picks, just in case you or another angler close by falls through. A flotation device is also a good idea for such a situation as a throwable and doubles nicely as a seat cushion on the ol’ Frabill bucket while sitting.

Whichever your quarry, first ice can be an action-filled, exciting time. Head out prepared as well as equipped for safety, and you’ll be ready to enjoy the fantastic fishing waiting to happen in the coming weeks. I’ll see you on the water…

Tight lines,