Hi all,

I just wanted to post a heads up....

My dog, Patrick, a 4 year old Irish Setter isn't doing too well. He's been diagnosed as positive for blastomycosis. Vet says it's usually contracted in wet areas in northern WI. Wikipedia says the same.... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blastomycosis Wikipedia says, under epidemiology, "...also frequently affects hunting dogs in northern Wisconsin..."

We caught it pretty early, but I don't think he's going to make it. It's a tough one to beat, even with early diagnosis, and it's often missed.

He's only at home, not a typical area for blasto, or up in Mercer near the LOTF campground area with me. Vet figures he likely contracted it up there.

So....if your dog isn't responding treatment for other illnesses, and the vet is having trouble getting a handle on what's up with your dog.... Maybe mention to do the test for blasto right away. It appears to be in the area where I see a lot of other people and their dogs hanging out.

I'm hoping nobody else has to deal with it...and I thought it may help somebody else out to mention it.

ps (Any prayers for my fishing buddy are appreciated. Kids are usually too busy, or don't want to go fishing....so poor Paddy has always been there for me.)