www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Blastomycosis - Is your dog doing ok?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Prayers sent to your fishing buddy Paddy. I hope he gets better soon and the two of you have many years on the water together.

I 've never heard of Blasto. We spend a month a year in northern Wisconsin and if our dog ever gets sick after a trip it will be something I mention to the vet.

Thanks for the heads up. Sorry to have to hear about it this way.

I know Fishtrap Lake and the Manitowish River around Boulder Junction is a Blasto hot spot and that flows into the Flowage so it might be an area to use caution.Wish you the best.

Default Blasto

Thanks for the prayers and well wishes for Paddy guys. My sympathies to those of you who have lost a buddy....

Paddy is doing pretty well lately. His condition is pretty directly tied to him taking prednisone at the vets direction. Without it he won't eat, and I can barely force feed him, he can barely breathe, and coughs constantly. On the prednisone, he barely seems sick at all.... Obviously we want to keep weaning him off of it, and be on the lowest doseage possible....but my vet has successfully treated several blasto dogs. They credit their success with the steroids giving the dogs the lung strength to combat the issue, the appetite to take the medicine and nourishment, etc...

So if you run into the problem, steroids as part of the treatment has been super beneficial for Paddy...